586,234 active members*
2,892 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini Lathe > Spinning aluminum parts on a mini lathe?

Spinning aluminum parts on a mini lathe?

I need help deciding what size lathe to buy.

One thing I would like to do is chuck a piece of 2"X6"X.060 wall 6061 tubing, bore the end to a .030 wall thickness .060 deep so it would accept a 1.94"X.060" thick plug that has a 20 degree bevel facing out. Then spin the edge of the tube over the plug to capture it closing off the end of the tube.

What size lathe would be capable of this on a regular basis?

I would also like to be able to spin form small aluminum parts like 1/2" to 2" velocity stacks over steel mandrels.

Could a 7X14 mini lathe or 8X14 Lathemaster handle this type of work?

I turn 2.5" aluminum on mine. Seems to work fine. I had to use the outside jaws.

The 7 x 12 will do it but the 8 x 14 would serve you better. It has more weigh so less rigidity issues. If you haven't taken the plunge yet I would go for the 8x12 at harbor freight which could be had for about 60.00 more than a 7 x 12. If you do get the 7 x 12 I would get a bigger chuck for the first piece you described. The small aluminum parts the 7x12 would do fine on. I turn aluminum mandrels all the time on mine.

Thank you for the replies. I just received my Grizzly Mini Mill and the Harbor Freight lathe will be a good compliment to it.

Well darn....you done bought the lathe......check out Home Shop Machinist......there was a write up about 18 months ago on modifying a lathe for spinning.....

sheet metal spining problems

hELLO EVERY BODY I AM ASIF(FISA) I KNOW THAT THIS IS A RIGHT PLACE TO SHAREING OUR THECNICAL PROBLEM AND I BELEIVE THAT EVERY DAY THERE ARE LOT OF PROBLEMS SOLVEED HERE THANKS ADMINISTATOR FOR GINING US A RIGHT PLACE.
    NOW COME TO THE MY PROBLEM.MY PROBLEM IS I AMA NEW COMER IN SPIN FORMING AND WANT TO MAKE THIS PART(see jpeg) through spining process.i am trying to makke this part from last 10 days but still unsucessful.i dont know where i am wrong i see different videos on internet for ideas to make this part and adopt lot of things for those videos but result is zero.i am attaching the jpegs of my job set up and also part specification and tool path which i was generated on mastercam lathe for machining path.this is the request for all the technical persons that plz help me i realy need some one advice for solving this problem because now my colleague doing jokes on me about this part.i am also posting a jpeg of my tool path wana know that is it right tool path for this part. plz help
    Attached Files Attached Files