586,100 active members*
2,713 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bridgeport VMC 760 Spindle problem

I have an old Bridgeport VMC 760/22 with a DX32 controller. Yesterday, every time the spindle cut off, as with a M5 or M6 callout or even in manual mode, it drops out all my drives. I then have to re enable my drives and rehome the machine. It will then run fine until the spindle is commanded to cut off again. Any ideas of what would be causing this?

There might be a load on Spindle Check the overload in Spindle Drive , Check is there any mechanical Jamming there ? Also Check the Drive of Spindle . Alarm ?

Only alarm I get is a "Following error Z" alarm which I think is caused when the drives alarm out. Z axis drops @ 3-5 mm before the brake catches it. I've got the covers off and have checked the belt condition and tension and they appear fine. The spindle motor is the original which puts it @ 18 years old. I'm fixing to set up parameter to try and give me a more accurate spindle load than the one displayed on the screen.

Angry Update

As long as I am @ 1000 or so RPM and below it does not alarm out. Also the alarm is an "Axis Fault" alarm on the screen but no code on the drives themselves. I know your thinking " Just stay below 1000 RPM. That's what I did just to limp along but cutting aluminum, this is not feasible for long.

There might be a problem in regenerative or Break Circuit , I dont think It is mechanical Fault (Do you feel or hear any abnormal Noise during Spindle Running < 1000/RPM ? ) , When alarm comes At the moment you break the Spindle ? Or at the moment you give Command to rotate Spindle ? Or after command when spindle Try to reach the Speed ? Please confirm
    regards

There is no abnormal sounds coming from the spindle. The alarm comes as soon as I give the M5 command to stop the spindle.

it is Clear now that there is a fault in Drive . Send the Drive to repair or call any Local tech Person .
    regards

yes there was a abnormal sound, I have cutoff the spindle. If it is a mech problem the bearings will be wear out.

@ Sudip , If there will be a mechanical fault the Break force will be applied as same as on 1000 RPM or Some what High torque in > 1000 RPM , Here the Problem related to M05, Break to Spindle . Problems are in Drive I think , we should wait for the diagnosis and the result and post from greenie71.

Thanks for the help. I'll post what the verdict ends up being. Going to call a tech in.