586,189 active members*
4,021 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

setting work origin Mits 520

Hi, total noob with a VMC, been battling it for a while, I've got DNC working via RS232, I wrote a post for my CAM package, registered a bunch of tools in the chain and put in offsets, can home machine and run a prog.. but in wrong place!

Feels like I'm nearly there now but obviously having trouble with work offsets. Not sure if best to enter direct in 'work' offsets page, use a G54 MDI line or similar, or zero DROs, or a combo of these. Manuals don't seem that helpful, I guess they assume a base level of knowledge above mine! What I'd ideally like is to jog to my work origin and zero the DROs or at least enter zeroes somewhere. And to know that the machine is already applying the tool length offset to the current tool as I'm touching off.

Can anyone tell me what their work offset procedure is on their machine? I'm using spindle face gauge line for positive tool offsets, by the way. Thanks for any tips!

What we do: Home machine, manually dial machine to your work offset position ( usually a bored hole or a pin in a fixture sub plate). Once machine is in the proper "X" & "Y" position, if you are using a EIA program you will probably be setting a G54, G55...or whatever offset is called out in your program, by using the "Teach" function in your work offsets page. Just "Teach" and "input". If you are programming in mazatrol, you probably be using the "WPC" in the program. Manually dial to position, go to "MDI" mode, go to "Program", "WPC MEASURE", "WPC SEARCH", "INPUT", curser on "X" position, "TEACH", curser to "Y" position, "TEACH". As long as the proper tool length is set in the tool data page for the tool you are touching off with, you can "TEACH" the "Z" position in both types of work offsets as well. Hope that helps!

thanks for the reply, sorry about the delay but I haven't had a chance to check this out on my control until now... unfortunately I don't see a 'teach' function anywhere in the work offsets page, is your control a meldas?