586,036 active members*
4,357 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

DM2400 won't run

I have a DM2400 cnc that is stuck initializing when "yes" is pressed on the controller. When "no" is pressed it lists a few lines and then asks for an axis. When an axis is chosen and I try to jog, nothing happens. I have cleaned the limit switches. The stepper motors seem to be getting power.

I have tried a few different cable configurations when connecting to a computer.
    1. 25 pin connector on the cnc (which only has about 5 wires going to it) to 25pin/9pin null modem cable. Open hyperterminal connection and emergency tone is emitted from cnc.
    2. 25pin/25pin standard serial cable; emergency tone emitted during hyperterminal connection and in Mach3
    3. 25 pin connector from Ah Ha breakout board (connected to dist. board with ribbon cable) to 25pin/25pin standard serial cable; same result

Would an incorrect cable configuration cause the emergency tone? It seems that something else isn't right since the machine will not move using the standard controller. Any ideas?

Have YOU ever had it working? From a separate computer and drip feeding? Or just from the console?
    A lazy man does it twice.

I personally have never seen it run. It was purchased cheap and supposedly it ran 5+ years ago (intermittent Y-axis troubles) with the Ah Ha breakout board and software (I do not have the software).

I know there are many upgrades that can be done to this machine, but right now I'm just looking for some help to get it in working order.

That is what I figured. There are a few who claim to have interfaced with them. I have one and it works via Mach3 and a G540.
    There was a member here (Tbirdgreg) who had info on how to drip feed the DM2400 with no additional software. He had a link and site though lately I can't find any reference to them. So I am not sure if there was a legal problem.
    Upon initialization, does it show the backlash of each axis? Or is it making it that far in?

It doesn't make it that far in. It only says "initializing."

No movement?
    IIRC, this was when the homing sequence took place. It would bump each axis against its limit switch and somehow measure and display the backlash.
    I would suggest removing the covers over the limit switches. Maybe even clean the switches themselves. It is a very basic switch but it does have gold contacts.

No movement at all. I have removed the limit switches and cleaned them with electrical contact cleaner and wiped them off. They seem to work correctly when testing with a meter, but the troubleshooting steps in the manual seem to point to the switches being the problem.

So you do have a manual. I wonder about jumping the inputs for the limit switches as a test? At least it might move to the next step. Mine worked by the console just fine. But I had no way to communicate.

I found a copy of the manual online. I had considered that but haven't tried it yet. At least it would narrow it down to the switches if it works.

If you did use a a switch or twist the wires together as the test, you could quickly interrupt the signal (pull the wires apart) to mimic a trip. The homing speeds are slow enough to deal with and a stall against a limit will cause no problems with a stepper based system.