586,062 active members*
4,656 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thumbs up Stay away from this pseudo future open source

Hi all newbie,

If your are like a lot of people who want make his own CO2 laser engraver/cutter, you will surelly cross a "dinosaur" .
    I can only recommend you to stay very far away from this pseudo "future open source" .

Why ? Simple, all in this project is made to finish in an expensive commercial machine to make profits to their "authors".
    These guys (on bad influence of a woman :stickpoke ?) starts from two real open source projects (Arduino and Grbl) and make "a gas factory", that the only way is to make money. When (and if) they reach a 100% "open source" they claim, their laser will be unbuildable unless you give them a lot of money.

Buy a real good commercial machine will cost you less money and time than this claimed open source project !!!

You can not beleive in what I'm writing, but prepare tubes of aspirin to understand how they complicated (artificially and unnecessarily) their actual stuff (hardware and software).:drowning:

It's not anormal to want make money, but don't do it with a mask of "open source" :violin:

Forewarned is forearmed (group)

Some links and actual info would be handy!

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

If you are really interested and looking for an open source laser, it's impossible not to cross the "dinosaur" :tired:

Links or we don't know what you're talking about!
    Regards
    Geoff

Ummmmm wtf?

New Open Source Laser Cutter Hits Market - Forbes

I can take a guess you mean this project?

Quote Originally Posted by Exsecratio View Post
    New Open Source Laser Cutter Hits Market - Forbes

I can take a guess you mean this project?
    I am going to take a wild guess here, but sounds like someone doesn't want any competition in the laser machine market...

Hi all newbie,
    11 years of working with lasers from insignificant pointers to multi killowatt systems used as weapons. Chose your words a little more wisely

If your are like a lot of people who want make his own CO2 laser engraver/cutter, you will surelly cross a "dinosaur" .
    Ummm a direct name such as "Lasersaur" would have prevented me having to use my "GoogleFu"

I can only recommend you to stay very far away from this pseudo "future open source"

Thanks, based on what though?

Why ? Simple, all in this project is made to finish in an expensive commercial machine to make profits to their "authors".
    It's quite possible to fund development of an item then ends up as open source by using commercial methods. All the research has to be paid for somehow, I didn't manage to find anything suggesting the final release would be commercial past the offer of buying ready made parts.

These guys (on bad influence of a woman ?)
    I guess your not married or in a long term relationship? if you are I can recommend some very good divorce lawyers as with that kind of "woman = bad" attitude I have a feeling you will need one.

starts from two real open source projects (Arduino and Grbl) and make "a gas factory", that the only way is to make money.
    Right, open source projects are often incorporated into commercial projects, ask Microsoft, they do it all the time.

When (and if) they reach a 100% "open source" they claim, their laser will be unbuildable unless you give them a lot of money.
    I haven't been able to find any such suggestion on any of the web pages about Lasersaur, my GoogleFu is usually pretty good as well.

Buy a real good commercial machine will cost you less money and time than this claimed open source project !!!
    My Mitsu's were "real good commercial machines" but at £200,000 a piece I'd imagine that gives an open source project quite a bit of leeway.

You can not beleive in what I'm writing,
    I'm not questioning your honesty, I am however questioning the motives behind it?

but prepare tubes of aspirin to understand how they complicated (artificially and unnecessarily) their actual stuff (hardware and software).
    I'll pass on the medical advice, I have to take Warfarin each day so aspirin may well prove fatal to me.

It's not anormal to want make money, but don't do it with a mask of "open source"
    References? Links? Evidence?

Forewarned is forearmed
    Warnings usually come with evidence, without it I tend to question the warning givers motives. Your first post comes across as toys/pram/woosh.

best wishes

Dave

Apart from sounding like wild ramblings, I'm taking a guess that maybe the OP contributed to the project with the expectation he'd end up with a machine as it reached runstatus 3 years ago, but instead got beta status build docs/software? I think that's what they mean by the "beta kit"? I notice on their website they are still selling $32 beta slots to fund the machine before it becomes open source. Maybe also this is what he's aggrieved about?

That's the best I can decode the post.

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

@ Dave, As always great post.. You da man....

one thing is sure.. to cutting an inch thick steelpalte the 100 watt laser wont do a lot..
    a 3Kw laser or larger is not hobbycategory..

forbes magazine has some article about and from there some other links..

what looking from their project, its lookalike kickstarter project.. however regardless of invested amount their offer only accessing the design sources..
    compared with real kickstarter projects, investors even get a real equipment for their investment while dino-laser-saur offer only some documentation..

from there... a 40-100 watt laser marking and cutting paper.. migthbe some thin wood.. and for those hundred of different laser on ebay for good price..

to cutting an inch thick steelplate the 100 watt laser wont do a lot..
    Huh? where does inch thick steel come in to the equation?

I'm taking a guess that maybe the OP contributed to the project with the expectation he'd end up with a machine as it reached runstatus 3 years ago, but instead got beta status build docs/software? I think that's what they mean by the "beta kit"? I notice on their website they are still selling $32 beta slots to fund the machine before it becomes open source. Maybe also this is what he's aggrieved about?
    Pretty much Ian from what I am reading, @ 32 bucks though no project is going to be a winner, I wouldn't have thought a project like that would attract many backers to be honest, there are so many open source projects around for cnc machines. It's no massive leap to add a laser to a good cnc for those that want to build something a little different.
    Can't say I've ever been a huge fan of kickstarter style stuff, from individuals with good ideas it can be great but when commercial companies do it (lesser known commercials) it tends to make me ask why they would need to. Banks even in the current economic climate know a good idea when they see one and will still hand over money if they think they will get a good return on it.
    Way I see it? if the bank doesn't think it's worthwhile investing why the hell would I

@ Dave, As always great post
    thanks Mike I've always been the same, whenever I see any singular scathing comment about something I straight away question motives or if I am being given the full picture. I've seen it first hand many times when you get the call :

"My machine doesn't work"

"Ok what's changed"

"Well nothing it just stopped working"

Then you go out on a call and find out the thing has been pressure washed while it was switched on or had caught fire last week strange how the user managed to overlook those little details (I don't and never have sold lasers but I have the service contracts for quite a few)

If I start seeing a lot of similar complaints then I prick up my ears and start digging a little deeper .

best wishes

Dave

Hi
    I do not know what they do it for but I know they do it wrong.
    I built many laser machines in my life and as I see Lasersaur it is just oversized chinese piece of s.... with all faults.
    Except one :-)
    This is for people who wants to make it and say to all around LOOK, I DID IT.
    Not for those who are going to earn money with this laser.
    If you want Lasersaur to work for you, forget it.
    CNC lasers, constructions, service

That's the Maker movement for you - trying to re-invent the wheel the hard way Don't get me wrong, I think it is great that people try to make stuff and from time to time some really interesting things are made. However there are a lot of projects that make no financial sense whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by cinematic2 View Post
    Hi
    I do not know what they do it for but I know they do it wrong.
    I built many laser machines in my life and as I see Lasersaur it is just oversized chinese piece of s.... with all faults.
    Except one :-)
    This is for people who wants to make it and say to all around LOOK, I DID IT.
    Not for those who are going to earn money with this laser.
    If you want Lasersaur to work for you, forget it.
    what is the problem with the laser?
    nobody here seems to be able to say anything constructive, only slurs...
    I test the Lasersaur software/controller bcs. I build own cnc controllers and it is prety good!
    You can download everything from the webpage and dont have to pay for nothing!
    What kind of problems have you guys??
    or is the girl on the pics the pain in your ass? ;-)