586,708 active members*
2,531 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

My first experience with CNC

I just bought a Taigtools CNC desktop mill with SuperCAM software from www.super-tech.com. It should be with me in a few days. I cant wait to see what it does and what I can get out of it. Basically I am an electronics professional but had been interested in CNC machining for some time so decided the best way to satisfy my enthusiasm is to go for this toy before it becomes too late to learn anything new.

I just want to ask this simple question. If anyone knows about this machine, can you suggest how much this is capable of doing. I mean, can it do the following

1) Mill a low resolution Printed circuit board (PCB) for prototyping.
    2) Cut small plastic gears (20mm dia) to make a toy movements.
    3) Make a small plastic injection mold out of brass or mild steel for manual molding machines.

Welcome to the 'Zone, NeoMiller! Although I don't have any experience with the Taig mills, I have heard good things out about them.

I would think #s 1 and 2 would be no problems. I think #3 may a little slow going, but it should work well if you take light cuts in brass. I'm not sure how well a Taig will handle mild steel.

Edit: Spelling Corrections
    My name is Electric Nachos. Sorry to impose, but I am the ocean.
    http://www.bryanpryor.com

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

NeoMiller:
    Your #1 will be a problem because the spindle isn't fast enough for the small tools used to cut PCBs.
    Nos. 2 and 3 will work fine if you are not in a hurry

robotic regards,

Tom

Thanks guys for your comments.
    Toymaker, I agree that the spindle speed is not very fast. But if I slow down the movement, wouldn't it be possible. My concern is not speed. Also I intend to make very low resolution PCBs with through hole components, min lead pitch of 0.1inch (100mil), minimum track clearance of 0.025inch (25mil).
    Would the results improve if I dont use Fiberglass PCB and use the bakelite (brown) PCB.

On PCBs with 100 mil centers your cut between traces will be less than 50 mils. For a tool of that size 5K rpm is way slow .
    I believe there is some minimum cutter edge speed (measured in surface feet/minute, -sfm-) that will produce a smooth cut.
    On the other hand there is nothing like experience. You already have the machine, there is no good reason not to give it a go and see the results.
    You don't even need to make a layout first. Just mount a scrap piece of pcb on the mill and jog the cutter across the surface manually.

robotic regards,

Tom
    = = = = =
    "Painting is poetry that is seen rather than felt, and poetry is painting that is felt rather than seen."
    - - Leonardo da Vinci