586,113 active members*
3,393 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mori Seiki NH DCG HMC's ? Any good?

Hello

The company that I'm working for is considering on a HMC purchase. Some of the minimum specs would be:

CAT 50 Spindle
    6000 min RPM
    500 to 630 MM pallets
    TSC

We spotted a few Mori NH DCG machines. When comparing these machine to others (Mazak, Kitamura, Hyundai Kia ect.), we notice the Mori are some of the lighter machines (less than 30,000 pounds vs 40,000 plus). I'm a big believer in BIG Iron and I am concerned that the lighter Mori's might leave something left to desire when making aggressive cuts or tool life. A Sales person told us the Mori Seiki over came this by their "DCG" technology. Just wondering what the forum thinks. I do know Mori is a big name when it come to quality, but the light weight has me skeptical.

We plan on machining Alum. casting with long overhangs (5+ inches). the one part will require us to mill a profile 5.215 deep. with a .008" tapper. Currently we are using a custom 1.00" solid carbide EM to achieve this on a 50 tapper VMC (Haas VF-3). We would like to finish the full depth in one pass, radially, not so important. We would also like to keep some options open if we need to machine Steel Alloys in the feature, maybe even drilling large holes as well (1.250" plus). My company is not to interested in HSK's because we have other machines in the shop with CAT 50 would like to be able to share tool holders if needed. Not too concerned about '3d high speed machining'. Also be running low batch numbers so rapids/Tool change time not super important. Would like to keep the price less that $250,000 so we would have more money left over for tooling/pallets.

One last note, we would like to do "shop floor programing" if possible. Mostly will be doing 3+2 machining, drilling holes and simple contours. Is the MAPPS software any good? Or are we better off using CAM or g-codes? Currently, 75% of our programing on our HAAS/Fanuc VMC machines are done on our shop floor.

Thanks for your input.

glovebox20

First off, the mori will out perform those other machines you listed. The DCG technology is basically a box in a box construction, and they lightened up moving parts using structural analysts like they do at Boeing. This allows higher speeds in corners without loss of rigidity. The only machine that compares IMO is a Makino. Now, if your doing large cast iron pieces or big heavy steel cutting all day, box way machines are the way to go. From what your describing, a 50 taper Mori will eat it up. As far as shop floor programming, you have 2 choices. Mori does have Esprit available and built in on some of the machine models. We use capps all the time here for simpler parts, its quick, its fairly powerful, and it post to g-code. With the Mapps panel you can also run up to 6GB program off the control. One thing to watch out for with CAPPS, lots of options, and they get expensive. I'll list a couple- DXF import, Island pocket, High speed 3D (this is where thread milling resides for some reason). For basic stuff, bolt patterns, basic shapes, chamfering, tapping, it works well out of the box.

I also like Makino as well, but the guy who is hunting the machines down tell me he can only find them with HSK spindles, wich is something we are not looking forward to.

Hurco has a new line of HMC with "box in box" constrution. How dose this differ with Mori Seiki or Mankino?

We will be milling/boring holes for bearings (+.001/-.000") and feel that most mills made today sould not have much trouble meeting that requirement. Heck, we are doing it now on Haas VF machines. Although, I'm sure a better machine would only make it easier.

What? Mori blows Mazak's out of the water? I though they were just as good as other high end MTB. I would expect that when comparing them to Doosan, Haas, Johnford, hyundia Kia. I though Mazaks were compariable to Mankino, Kitamura, Mori.

I think the new Hurco horizontal line looks good, even if I´m not sure it´s made at Hurco. Anyway the one who has built the machine seems to know a bit of how horizontals should look. It reminds a lot of one of my favourite horizontals named Niigata

And if your looking at shop floor programming Hurco conversational is one of the best if not the best

Negative is that Hurco probably don´t have a lot of options for the machine. It´s not at all a Mori, Makino or Niigata. But I think it will easily sweep the floor with for instance Haas horizontals

Hurco is just another Taiwanese machine with a different control, ours are the most unreliable machines in the plant. The Hurco control is basically a PC shoved in a rack, with parts costing 10X what they are worth. And no, Mazak is not the same as Mori/Makino/Matsuura for the last 15 years or so. They are really the Haas of the Japanese world, not that thats bad, just not the same. Kitamura is a good mid line machine, like OKK. Nothing wrong with Doosan, just not quite up to the Japanese quality IMO. I'd stay away from Kia/Hyundai personally, there products seem to be hit and miss.

Looks like I am running the same threads as underthetire I recently installed a Mori Seiki NHX1000 with High Torque 75 HP spindle. It comes with a direct drive motor on the 4th axis. This thing is a beast! We moved a 40 hour part from the Haas and turned it into 25 hours. Machined 12.5" deep 6" oblong bores with button inserts. 16 finish and no taper. Feed mill 2800 RPMS 300 IPM at .06 depth of cut on a 3" feed mill. And even pushed our salesmen to the limit and pushed a 5.00" inserted drill at .006 IPM at 85%. The 630s and below have direct scales standard. You can get Polar coordinate and coordinate system rotation as an option and do all your programming on the machine. I have heard that the largest Horizontal / pallet pull system in the US that Mori has is in the Haas factory. :cheers: