Hi my name is Lee from Speedy Signs Dunedin in New Zealand,

We are currently looking at purchasing a Chinese assembled CNC machine, I have been doing a lot of research on it, including thumbing through some of the forums here which have been most helpful. Basically I thought if I listed what we were after someone could discuss what makes a good or bad machine as a lot of these style machines seem to use the same chasis and parts and therefore it becomes difficult other than price to compare apples with apples

What we are looking at is this

3.6m x 1.5 meter table 350mm z clearance
12kw HSD spindle
250 m3/hr tongyou pump
Auto tool changer
helical rack and pinion
panasonic servos and drivers
thk linear rails
automatic oil mister for aluminium cutting
8mm pre stress steel construction of both the gantry and bed
the electronic components are all siemens and schnider
limit switches by Omron
relocating accuracy 0.05mm
max moving speed 35000/min
Syntec control system

we can buy the same machine here in New Zealand but it is about 3 to 4 times the cost, even spending 2 weeks in the factory for training and maintenance advice it still works out to be a little under half the cost of the same machine here.

Really my question is this

Are there things amongst this sort of setup that I should be aware of before purchasing such a machine and do you have any advice for questions I should ask in order that I don't waste a lot of money on an expensive purchase I may regret.

I should say my background is in computers and electronics. I have a BSc in Computer Science and my New Zealand cert in electronics. We have a 2.5m wide UV flatbed, a 1.6m wide Mimaki mild solvent printer and a Kodak 1.5m wide dye based printer for posters etc.
I currennt work as the IT Administrator at Speedy Signs so I have tasked to investigate the purchase of a cnc machine for use in the signage industry.

Any information you could offer would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Lee
Speedy Signs