586,121 active members*
3,758 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: It works!

Page 2 of 2 12
    MR, currently I am using GMFC exclusively. I tried the others, I even used Jedicut for a few months but GMFC has many more features. Of course it is not free like Jedi but the value was there for me. There is a trial version with full functions so I suggest you try them and see which works for you before you make the investment. I would not waste your time on Foamlinx. I would have a hard time describing the differences as it has been a while since I used anything but GMFC and once you learn the nuances of one package you really won't want to switch.

Download them, try them out and feel free to ask me any questions, it would be easier to address specifics than the entire packages.

Sleedo

Sleedo,

What version of GMFC are you running?

Bill
    Thanks
    Bill

I've been trying to figure out to use Foamworks. 30days trial version at www.foamwork.com

But the problem i've been running into is the conversion process. I use a Cad software to draw and save as DXF file and so far, nothing ever converted right. Mach converting to G-code looks all funky, and foamwork freezes.

I a attaching the file here see if anyone else can help me convert it.

G-code and .Dat file for foamworks cutting.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Live life like you never see another day

PE, I really liked Pro and was running on W2k but too expensive for me. I like how you can cut two cores, top to top, in one operation with Pro. In PE you have to cust one side, flip the foam (trying to line them up) and cut the other side.

I have a bunch of accuglide slides that are very close tolerance slides. If anybody is interested in a few of these, e-mail me and maybe we can work out something. ([email protected]). I have a pretty good assortment of lengths. I hope this doesn't swamp me with requests, but these are better than normal drawer slides.

GMFC PE ( English Documentation)

Anyone have the English Documentation for GMFC PE .. the link on the sites seems to be broken,

So far looks like PE will run on Windows 2000 but need a separate driver,
    is that right..

here is the English help file. The help says that cutting does not work under 2000 in GMFCPE. I used the demo of Pro on my laptop that ran W2K, I picked up an old system for free that has W98 on it and that's what I use now for cutting.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks Sleedo,

I got thing working yesterday .. well at least moving, and did a dry run with no foam and hot wire.. it moves :-)

but so far I've stumbled on setting the steps\ inch.. well in this package looks like they set steps per rev and the size of the lead screw..

so far they don’t seem to match up...

I have a lead screw that turn 12 rev/in and 200 steps per so 2400 steps per rev..

I'm coming up short.. :-(

The values they show in the configuration help file.. are

M6 6 mm 1
    M8 8 mm 1.25
    M10 10 mm 1.50
    M12 12 mm 1.75

I don’t follow there method to calculate .. steps per\in..

the lead screw is 3/8 thick.. but how does that matter.. if I could have a 1/2 in thick lead screw.. and will have ( 12 turns \in also )

hmm am I making this more complicated that in has to be..?

this was a snap to set up on my 3 axis machines.. :-)

you're close, what you are confused by is the difference in how SAE threads are described vs Metric. Here is my understanding, one revolution of a metric screw will advance the lead as follows: M6 6 mm 1, M8 8 mm 1.25, M10 10 mm 1.50, M12 12 mm 1.75 . What you need to worry about with an SAE thread is that you have 12 threads per inch, an inch is 25.4mm, so in 12 revolutions your lead travels 25.4mm. Therefore one revolution = 25.4/12 or 2.117mm. Plug that # into your GMFC "Screw thread" field to start then follow the instructions to tune your table. A few full trips the length of the table will tell you how close you are and you can adjust for the error.

Clear as mud?

sweet.. thanks that perfectly clear now.. I'll try that ..

import *.dxf

Sleedo.. thanks for the advise before.. it worked perfectly..

have another q for you..

the help doc says.. that GMFC will import arc's circles.. and split them into
    2mm segments.. but I cant seem to get that to happen..

all I get is a strait line where the arc.. or circle should be.. :-(

I attached a few fix.. maybe it will help explain my point..

any advise..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cad pic.bmp   GMF Pic.bmp  

It works .. ! :-)

hey,

I got around the problem..

I want to set up my own spars .. in the *.dxf..

but GMFC does a good job once .. I figure out how to use it..

would still be nice to know why.. it does not import arcs.. or circles..

Here a pic of a the first few cuts..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ribs.JPG  

congrats! those look fantastic for a first effort!!! I'd be embarassed to show you what my first cuts looked like

Tapered vs. Symmetrical..

I'm finding out that.. Symmetrical wings are definitely but easier to cut..

the lighting holes or spars.. for example. if the wing has to extreme of a sweep back.. looks like its not such a good Idea...

so far I've just cut some small wings..

10.75" root .. 5.5" tip.. the thickness goes from 1.25" to .5 " ..
    maybe it would be better .. for larger wings...

had to remove the lightning holes for the Tapered wings .. looks like the geometry caused the tip’s to be out of sink with the root cord.. and so GMFC would not cut it..

There is still a lot of little thing a I cant really make sense of..

For some reason if the values are.. 101.10000 ( I get a “Enter Positive Integer” pop up)

Looks like some mathematic error on the program side ..so I round up.. and the pop ups go away..

Also the “reverse table layout” hmm while it seems to reverse or invert the block in the cut panel screen it .. still cuts moving forward I was expecting that to be reversed also..

Sleedo thanks for the complement but I did cut a lot of scrap in the “test cut mode “ to make sure the speed and heat where in the ball park..

Here are some pic the firs wing set..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF1235.JPG   DSCF1236.JPG   DSCF1238.JPG   DSCF1239.JPG  

For some reason if the values are.. 101.10000 ( I get a “Enter Positive Integer” pop up)
    Integer means WHOLE number or NO decimals.

This is why rounding works.
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

oh yeah..

Thank,

Man how much have I forgotten since..
    I've been out of school..

:-(

How do you set the configuration in GMFC program ? I have a regular 3-axis cnc board that i'm using on my foam cutter. GMFC does not seem to pick up this board. Any manual configurations like Foamworks?
    Live life like you never see another day

Its the board maybe the software...

I think its a combination of two things..

on my 3 axis machines I have a Xylotex board,
    one is 3 motor setup .. the other is a 4 motor set up using,

TurboCNC and Mach2 .. those programs don’t seem to care if the control board is powered on they just run..

I noticed on my foam cutter GMFC will not run unless the control board is powered on the board is a HobbyCNC unit.

so I think the GMFC is looking for a signal that its powered on, maybe even that each step is taking place... ( but don’t “” me on that.. )

Mostly I just followed instructions on how to wire up each board.. and it all worked :-)

Venomx999,

What is the 3 axis configuration look like for foam is it the same …
    Did you just replace the router ..with a heating element ?

Hmmm..

In GMFC the pin direction and Step pins are all under Windows Device Manager, But for me I did not have to change anything the defaults here good..

Not sure if any of this helps you..

Sleedo,

Where did you get the little plastic fitting that goes on the shaft of your steppers? I like the plastic hose coupling, but I will need that little plastic part to make it work.

Thanks,
    Steve

The plastic fittings on the stepper shaft came from my local hardware store, I truly don't remember what they were intended for but they were just the right OD and ID for my needs. I drilled and tapped them from the side to mount a setscrew. Sorry I don't have any more detail.

EB

Page 2 of 2 12