586,075 active members*
3,966 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

cnc knee mill questions

I have a rigid ram MDI and have been stripping the cabinet of the electronics in preparation for a retrofit, but have a few questions.

1. I am removing the handwheels that allowed the operator to move the table manually instead of jogging the servos. Two of the axis (the Y and Z) I could just remove the handwheels and use the existing belts, but the X axis used an idler and long belt to connect the ballscrew to the servo and handwheel motor. I need to order a new shorter belt, but don't know how to remove the existing one. Do I need to dissasemble the ballscrew from the table? Anyone have a how-to by chance?
    2. Where do you order new belts?
    3. Where is the spindle brake? I had wiring going to the limit switches, spindle motor, switch for the spindle brake, but could not figure out where the actual brake is. I need to wire it so I can activate it manually to make it easier to switch out the quick change tools. There is a lever that I can use it manually, but is there an electric solenoid that the switch was supposed to activate?
    4. Anyone know what kind of amps the one shot lube system that came on the bridgeports required? I can not find out any info on these.

Probably will have a million more questions later.

thanks all

From what I can tell is that others have a solenoid outside of the head for holding the brake, but mine is missing, so I need to buy and fab up a mount for a new one. Thinking about 12v electric push solenoid and found one on ebay, but what the heck is 5n of holding force? I would wire it so it would only activate when I use a switch, and only that for tool changes and allow the vfd for the other braking.

Anyone on the belt questions? Anyone? Echo..echo....echo........echo................

ps
    why is everything but the post in german? How do I change it to english?? My choices are antworten Erweitert Abbrechen

billsnogo

You need to post some photo's of what you have there were many different Bridgeport CNC machines, Most of the Brakes for CNC knee mill type machines, were controlled by a electric air solenoid which controlled a air cylinder to lock/unlock the brake
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by billsnogo View Post
    4. Anyone know what kind of amps the one shot lube system that came on the bridgeports required? I can not find out any info on these.
    thanks all
    If it is the Bijur type with the manual plunger, the motor is similar to a clock motor and draws milliamps.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by billsnogo View Post
    From what I can tell is that others have a solenoid outside of the head for holding the brake, but mine is missing, so I need to buy and fab up a mount for a new one. Thinking about 12v electric push solenoid and found one on ebay, but what the heck is 5n of holding force? I would wire it so it would only activate when I use a switch, and only that for tool changes and allow the vfd for the other braking.
    5 newtons is only like a pound of holding force... Ive seen quite a few bridgeports with a small air cylinder that worked the brake lever from a air solenoid? One pound wiuld probably do the force to brake, but doubt it would hold enough to hold thru toolchange torque- depends on the lever mostly, just be sure to put a 1 pound spring on it to allow the armature to pull all the way in... If a solenoid dont pull in fully to complete the magnetic field, youll let the smoke out in a hurry

I dunno about belts, but do know the step pulley head uses a bridgeport design belt- i tried to buy a standard belt for my backgear( i put a step pulley head on my old cnc out in the garage) and the pitch is just off enough it wont work...wouldnt doubt they mighta bastardized all their belts to keep selling parts . If so, one good source for anything bridgeport is 'high quality tools' and their site has great breakdown/ exploded view drawings that might be of interest to you.

Edit: heres a link, Step Pulley Top Housing