586,047 active members*
3,513 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

cant get my motors to turn!

Hello all,

I have a G0704 kit from Keling with c-10 BOB and 2 5056D drivers and 1 8070D driver. I have triple checked all my wiring and everything is as the keling drawing calls out I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure this out. Driver test seems to work fine although it says puling too fast. I also have a fresh install of windows xp oro. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Jeremy

Can you post a link to the hookup drawing that you are using?

Also, if possible, post a screen capture of your Mach ports and pins settings.

Do you have (or have access to) a multimeter that you can use for some voltage checks?

I do have a multimeter, I'll post it all up in a little while as i have to take my daughter to see the fireworks show.

Thanks!

OK, a few things to check:

- Do you have the C10 jumpered so that the common terminals are set to 5 volts? The jumper in question is X7 which is shown on page 4 of the C10 manual at http://cnc4pc.com/Tech_Docs/C10R10_USER_MANUAL_V2.pdf, and it should be set to connect pins 2 and 3 of the jumper (in order to put 5 volts on the common pins).

- Also, make sure that jumper X6 (direction) is set to pins 1 and 2 in order to set parallel port pins 2-9 to outputs (see page 5 of the manual).

- Please set Mach3 ports and pins to Dir Low Active and Step Low Active - the way that the C10 is wired makes the pulses active when they go "low".

- Finally, verify that you have a 5 volt power supply connected to the C10 (as shown in the diagram) and that there is actually the proper voltage present on the power pins (and if you have an Enable switch wired up as shown in the diagram, make sure that it is turned on).

Then try again to see if you have stepper motion.

Have you gone into BIOS and set your parallel port to EPP mode?

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

ok I switched the parallel port from ecp to epp, moved the x7 jumper to 5v and set ports and pins to step low active dir low active. Still no movement

Do you have "holding torque" on the motors? That is, do you have the motor voltage power supply connected to the drivers, and does it make it difficult for you to turn the motor shaft when the system is "on"?

If so, then the next thing to check is to see whether signals from Mach3 are actually making it to the driver terminals. The easiest way to check that is to measure the voltage between (any one of) the Dir- pins and ground, while alternately using Mach3 to jog the corresponding axis in one direction and then in the other direction. You should see 0 volts in one direction, and close to 5 volts when jogging in the other direction. Check that on each of the axes and report back.

so I have holding torque on the motors. When I measure the voltage from dir- and ground I get 3.7 and jogging does not change it.

The next test that I would do would be to check whether you are getting a change in the direction pin voltage when you jog in different directions, testing first at the end of the 25-pin cable where it plugs into the C10 board (you may be able to probe the 'pads' on the bottom of the C10 circuit board to do this - the pin numbering is shown on the board diagram on page 4 of the C10 manual - but be careful not to short out any of the pins.

If that test fails also (meaning that you do not see the voltage on each of the direction pins changing when you jog the corresponding axis), then you could next try testing the cable (disconnect it from the computer and the C10 board, and then use the resistance scale of the multimeter to test for continuity from each pin on one side of the cable to the corresponding pin on the other side of the cable), and/or testing for a voltage change when jogging in one direction or the other by measuring the voltage directly on the pins of the 25-pin printer port connector directly at the PC with no cable connected (again, be careful not to short circuit any of those pins).

The thinking behind the tests described above is that if you don't see the direction pin voltage change at the input to the C10 board, then it is possible that your 25-pin cable is not a "straight through" cable, or that the cable is defective, or that the Mach3 parallel port driver is not sending the signals through to your printer port.

Did the computer come with a built in parallel port?
    If not, you may have the wrong address for the port in there.
    I think Mach 3 default works fine for most built in's, but an add in card will need different ones.
    Those address's are found in the Device driver section of Windows.
    Lee

Well after some testing with the multimeter it was looking like the parallel port cable was not working properly, so I ran out and picked up a new one. Motors are finally turning! Thanks to everyone for your help I really appreciate it, you guys are awesome!

Glad to hear that it's working...