586,103 active members*
3,311 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Spindle, Hurco

I purchased a Hurco spindle from a model KM3P milling machine. It was not expensive and the seller insisted it is in excellant condition. I intend to use it in a machine I'm building.
    This is putting the horse behind the cart; but can anyone tell me about the quality of this type spindle?
    What kind of bearings?
    How lubricated?
    It comes with an integral Kwik switch tool holder. Is it most likely a 200 or 300.
    Does anyone know the taper of that holder; I understand it is not exactly the same as a v-flange?Any other info goodies are appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jerry

uses pair of precision (usually fafnir or barden) angular contact bearings in db arrangement (separated by ground spacer\preload ineer\outer race rings)at bottom, and simple radial bearing (separated from bottom pair by another spacer)at top.the inner race preload is set by threaded locknut\washer above top radial bearing (threads on spindle shaft).the outer race (angular contact bearings) is set by a threaded ring which threads into spindle quill.bearings are greased "for life".spindle manufactured by universal houdaille (sp?) out of frankenmuth, michigan,and model is universal quik-switch 200.taper is unique,not typical cat v.the toolhers have two "tangs" (ears) which enter a cam lock ring which when turned forces the toolholder into the taper of the spindle shaft.fairly rigid,somewhat susceptible to lockring wear over time.with exception of taper\quicklock design,rest of spindle very similar to bridgeport mill.regards...john

by the way,the spindle is driven by a splined (matches spindle shaft splines) driver hub (gear)...john

if you are ever looking for any parts I have 2 of these machines intactact collecting dust.

Where are you Joe?
    How much are the machines worth?
    What would you sell the x and y ball screw assemblies for?
    Jerry