586,094 active members*
3,943 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

KRM02 in Australia

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone had info on parts availability in Australia. I would like to build the 50x102 model, and was wondering about the true expected cost Australian cost. Any help would be great thanks.

I have had several in Australia purchase the KRMx02 book and build the CNC. As for how the costs relate to my estimates, I have not asked them. I suspect the shipping costs are killer. If you cant get 15 Series 80/20 localy then your only choice is to ship it from the states. Thats going to cost. I have had a couple change to a metric extrusion, but doing so puts them in a support thyself kind of situation.

The KRMx02 is not supported in these forums so Im not sure if you are going to get an responces here.
    Author of: The KRMx01 CNC Books, The KRMx02 CNC Books, The KRmc01 CNC Milling Machine Books, and Building the HANS Electric Gear Clock. All available at www.kronosrobotics.com

I am in the process of building a 27 X 50 machine in Melbourne, but it is very expensive. I sourced the 80/20 pre-cut kit from Sydney, but it is double the price here in OZ than the advertised price in the States. All the electronics was imported, as it was cheaper, even with the freight component included. As for the flat bar rails, I am on my third set that I am having heat de-stressed and then wash ground, as I can’t get flat cold rolled flat bar here in Melbourne. This is a very important part of the machine, so I want to get it right as it will influence the accuracy and quality of the machine.

It might be cheaper in the long run to purchase a saw and cut the 8020 yourself. I use a festool KAPEX. It cuts through the 3060 extrusion like butter. But again Im not sure what the costs of shipping the raw lengths to Australia would be.
    Author of: The KRMx01 CNC Books, The KRMx02 CNC Books, The KRmc01 CNC Milling Machine Books, and Building the HANS Electric Gear Clock. All available at www.kronosrobotics.com