586,389 active members*
3,098 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Visual Mill > Ramp Each Z Drop in 2-1/2" Axis Pocketing

Ramp Each Z Drop in 2-1/2" Axis Pocketing

Read a bunch of old posts on VM's support forum and they seemed to indicated this issue would be fixed in VM6.

I have tried every combination I can think of but VM still outputs a plunge cut.

Lead In & Out at each level is impractical as it takes 5 times longer (26 min vs. 5 min on a sample).

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks, John

If I recall, the Lead in feed is controlled by the "Engage" speed you have setup. If you make it the same speed as the cut speed, it shouldn't be too much of a time hit.

AiR_GuNNer

I had the engage set to be equal to cut speed.
    Real issue is that no ramping is available. I would expect a package in this price range would have this capability.
    Thanks for your reply.

John

You can easily ramp between levels. Entry/Exit tab: check the box to apply at each level. Depending on what you're doing, consider making the retract zero and the clearance plane for transfers to skip/zero. Done. Hope this helps you out !

CTAC

This was covered in my original post.

Lead In & Out at each level is impractical as it takes 5 times longer (26 min vs. 5 min on a sample).

Thanks for your interest.

John

Hey John, maybe we all could help if you'd be more clear.

"lead in and lead out" - sorry I didn't get that as it's not a VisualMill term that correlates with any toolpaths. I have no idea that's what you meant. In your original post you were talking about "I have tried every combination I can think of but VM still outputs a plunge cut." which is what I was solving for you - your post was about ramping Z levels.

All you have to do is adjust your clearance transfer plane setting to fix that. 26 minutes of cutting vs. 5? Yeah, you've got a setting way off, it's not the software.

CTAC

Sorry for the lack of clarity. The post was a carry over from another thread and I incorrectly "assumed" the carry over of info.

I am trying to create a pocket 1.5" deep with 1.5" on Y and .75" on X using a 3/8 HSS end mill.
    The intention was to continuously ramp down .034" per pass. No Plunge.
    I am trying to optimize time and provide the tool and machine, with a constant and even load.

Had tried various methods with VM with wildly different results.
    Called VM support and pointed out that this has been a request since 2006 (Old Posts) and that VM had said it would be fixed in ver. 6.0
    They indicated that VM did not support continuous ramping as of now.

Tried your suggestions with improved results.
    I have managed to achieve continuous ramping (per pass only) but oddly it forces a finish pass ( no Z change) after each pass.
    It also retracts Z after each pass.

Basically I am trying to achieve helical interpolation in a non circle.

Might you possibly have a .vcp example of how you achieve the best results.

Appreciate your interest and assistance. (New to Cam)

John

hi John, so you're after a continuous ramping. Now it all makes sense. My only suggestion there would be play with the entry angle and length of the "along path" entry parameters to drag it out as required but .034" per pass is so small - am I reading that right? You must be cutting inconel! How about a normal pocket with corner rounding that just ramps in, then cuts the pocket? You should get good results with tool load at 70% diameter, climb mill. Max out your MRR by adjusting the DOC until the tool deflects too much (use something like GWizard to calc this for you). Load will be good. Rough it out, go back in and finish the walls.

As to the Z retract, I think I can help there - that is the clearance plane setting for "cut transfer" set it to skim 0. Also set the approach distance to zero. I don't remember if this was in VM6, it may not be there?

I've attached my "best guess" for what you are describing. As you said, there isn't a continuous ramping option (least that I know of, anyway).

CTAC

Your part is real close. I have attached a .zip of the part for reference.
    I will continue to experiment with different settings. As to the DOC it's just a start point, will increase as it is tested.
    It is just a standard round corner pocket, just don't want a plunge between levels.

Just getting started with CAM so it's an uphill battle.

Appreciate your time.
    John
    Attached Files Attached Files

Here you go - try this file. Just set the roughing to one pass at full depth of cut (in this case 1.5") and set the ramping distance to be equal to that or greater (1.5")
    Attached Files Attached Files

CTAC

IT WORKS!

Looks like you showed VM a thing or two. They said it couldn't be done.

Had to change Engage from Helix to Linear & Distance to 1.5

Thanks ever so much, I was about to write VM off.

John

Awesome! Glad I could be of help!