586,117 active members*
3,463 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Manufacturing Processes > Safety Zone > CNC Poor Maintenance/Explosion Risk?

CNC Poor Maintenance/Explosion Risk?

Hi all,
    I've been running a large gantry-mounted plasma cutter (ESAB PT-36, for reference) for several months now, cutting mild & stainless steel, and occasionally aluminum. I'm always trying to make things run safer and more efficiently, so I came here to get your opinion on something.

I've been big on reading up on maintenance procedures, etc. and all of the gory details in the manuals I can get my hands on. This machine has been in place for several years now, and I'm noticing that the other guys running it basically treat it as though we don't need to do much to maintain it, and if the consumables blow out, it's not a big deal. As an example of the mindset - I just asked where I could get more of the silicone lubricant used for the seals inside of the torch (which I clean and lubricate quite a lot) and was advised that they didn't know, because it was the same tube that came with the machine when they got it several years ago. Keep in mind, this is a machine that is run for 12-20 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Recently I sorted through all the scrap consumables because it was clear that there was a bunch of stuff getting tossed that had been barely used, and with some cleaning up, would be basically good as new. It became clear that the other guys are frequently encountering what I can only describe as catastrophic failures, meaning the consumables are completely melted through. Also seeing a lot of evidence of arcing I've been told is from coolant leaks due to bad seals.

My question is - just how dangerous is this? The machine has argon, nitrogen, oxygen, H-35 (35% hydrogen, 65% argon), methane, and compressed air running into it.

I already do a lot of 'rocking the boat', so to speak, so I want to make sure I'm not overreacting when I bring this in to the higher-ups, among other things.

Thanks.

Any machine that is not maintained well is dangerous. For a machine to function well, it needs to be cleaned regularly and checked that each part is fully functional. I suggest bring it up to the higher officials. Better act now than be sorry.
    For Machinery Relocation, trust only Hanlon & Wright