586,655 active members*
4,070 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Modified JGRO

Started construction on my router today, it's going to be a stretch JGRO design, stock x and z axis and extended y with 60" gas pipes. Forgot one piece, but got the rest cut to size, going to start routing out the grooves tomorrow. Hopefully will have time to drill the necessary holes and start assembling tomorrow too, if I remember I'll take my camera and snap some pictures.

Other hardware includes:
    276 oz/in motors from automation direct
    a3977 drivers from pminmo.com
    1/2x10 acme drive screws
    old printer power supply with 2 24v 10A+ rails until i can build something else

The only thing I haven't gotten yet is a "good" spindle. I want to use it on future machines as well (larger/faster), so I want a variable speed router to start, no dremels, rotozips, or laminate trimmers. Anyone care to throw out some ideas for a good router, something under $300.

Check out the Hitachi M12VC. Variable speed and only $114 + tax at lowes. Comes with 1/2" and 1/4" collets.

You can read about it in the following posts:

Joe's CNC Model 2006
    New Spindle Thoughts
    Warren's 1st CNC Router Log
    Spindle Choices?
    Another Source for Collet Bushing Adapters

HayTay

Got all my slots made and packed everything back home. Have to clear out some room and make a workbench to start drilling and assembling. I think I am going to just use screws for assembly, I am planning on rebuilding or building new as soon as it cuts so I'm not too worried about taking it apart and putting it back together much, and will be predrilling all holes to help stop splitting. I have the taps and such to do it proper, but I want to get this thing together before I get sidetracked for months again.

I really like that router, and the price is perfect

Haven't built up the motivation yet to start marking my bearing carriers off, so I figured I post up some images too see if that will help kick start me this weekend. First two are all the main pieces for my machine, and the last is my #1 project after getting my machine working good, building a new box for my ugly projector. Sure do wish joe would pop his head in... (hint hint haas gcode hint hint)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pile-o-cnc.jpg   beautiful-woodwork.jpg   pj.jpg  

That is quite a pile of parts you've got there. Seems like a lot of the hard work is done what with all the cutting and routing. Looks good so far. Keep it up. Looking forward to seeing how the stretch to 60" is going to come out. I expect you might find some sagging with that length. What diameter pipe have you decided on?

Quote Originally Posted by ShayArnett
    Haven't built up the motivation yet to start marking my bearing carriers off, so I figured I post up some images too see if that will help kick start me this weekend. First two are all the main pieces for my machine, and the last is my #1 project after getting my machine working good, building a new box for my ugly projector. Sure do wish joe would pop his head in... (hint hint haas gcode hint hint)
    Just let me know what ya need, and On my 2nd machine i made it with 3/4"x36" pipes on the Y axis and 1"x60" pipes on the x axis.

Joe

I also went with 1" for the 60" length and 3/4" for the others, have to make some minor adjustments due to this, but I'm going to assemble starting with z so I can make sure I get my pipe placements in the right place.

Joe did you experience any sag with the longer pipes on your second machine? Obviously it didnt really affect your cutting, model 2006 came out great

Made a trip to the flea market and picked up 7 lbs of fasteners for $11. More than enough for putting this thing together. The baby is asleep in the room beside my "shop" so I'm afraid to go in clanking around too much. Hopefully I can make some quick progress today after she wakes up, I would like to get my z axis finished up so I can play around with it and a drill.

Few pictures of z progress, and some of my other tools
    Didn't get much done... spent too much time measuring and marking and that all went to crap when I got behind the wheel of the drill

The micro is going to be cnc also, I am actually still debating what to use my electronics on LOL When I don't have lots of time to work on the router I'm making motor mounts and bearing blocks for it, prolly have it ready to cnc before the router is finished.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails z-axis.jpg   bearing-assembly.jpg   bearing-closeup.jpg   micro.jpg  

3-in-1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by ShayArnett
    Joe did you experience any sag with the longer pipes on your second machine? Obviously it didnt really affect your cutting, model 2006 came out great
    No on the mdf it cut good for me, like you said I cut the new machine on it..

I had a major breakthrough tonight!!! no but really... had 30 minutes between staying late at work and getting called back in so I drilled out and screwed together the rest of the z-axis, gotta do rail adjusters and stepper mounts and it will be ready to test.

Just be happy you aren't a stepper motor and have to stare at big hunks of mdf and aluminum flying at you at 100ipm

Also have to throw in a couple pics of my little helper, programmin a part on the pc LOL.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails z-axis.jpg   z-rail.jpg   life-of-a-stepper.jpg   future-cnczoner.jpg  

hardatwork.jpg  

Made some more progress today.

Got the x axis bearing assemblies, and the gantry sides and braces screwed together. Still have to make all the adjustment blocks, but the plastic that I have that I was going to use is pretty tough to drill through.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails progress.jpg  

YAY!!! I'M DONE!!!1

ok so its just a 3d render, anyway pretty close to what I am aiming for
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails render.jpg  

Shay, looks like you're using polyurethane glue, how's that working for you? I'm leaning towards using it on my build.
    Thanks,
    Curtis

all I know it by is gorilla glue, it prolly says polyurethane on it but I haven't looked. Anyway its great, it and the screws make for some very solid pieces. Just be careful when it seeps out of the cracks and crevices, it expands quite a bit and is pretty hard when fully cured. For example the bottom piece of my gantry has some squirting out that I will have to sand or cut down so I can get the extra support pieces in the right place.

Gorrilla Glue, exactly. I've been real happy with it on other projects.

Tip... use masking tape at squeezout areas for easier cleanup.

Thats a good idea I'll definately keep that in mind next time.

I SUCK AT WOODWORKING

LOL

I really need to get this thing finished so I make some straight cuts.
    Got the adjustment blocks cut and installed on the z axis, little bit of work on the leadnut and i'll be ready to slap a drill on it.

Yo Shay,

What part of woodworking do you suck at? Maybe we could give you some pointers. There are a few tricks and techniques that can make things easier.

First tip is patience,
    Steve

Page 1 of 2 12