586,399 active members*
3,171 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Super Spacer

Super Spacer

I'm looking to get a super spacer. I would like one with a small handwheel and need at least a 2" bore.

Enco has an 8" super spacer for a hair over $500. Are these any good? How do they compare the models made by Yuasa and Bison (which don't seem to have handwheels)? Thanks.

I believe the main difference you will find between these units is indexing accuracy. The Enco model's specified indexing accuracy is "3 min. max". The stated accuracy of the Yuasa is "25 seconds". That leads you to believe the Yuasa is 1/12 to 1/6 more finitely accurate than the Enco, depending on if the accuracy stated is unilateral or bilateral. Depending on the size and nature of what you want to do, I have used the 5C manual collet indexer (found on page 294 of Enco 2005 catalogue) successfully. The limitations with this unit is it is only furnished with a 24 space plate (15 degree increments) and you are limited to holding the material via standard 5C collet, machineable 5C collet, expandable 5C collet or 5C mount 3-4" chuck.
    Hopes this helps.
    MarkT.

you can buy a used one for a lot less try this site
    http://www.machinetools.com/MT/machi...hineClass=used

Thanks for the help.

I looked at the 5C Indexers but the collets only go up to 1-1/8". I need to machine bar stock up to 2" in diameter.

Does anyone here know of any rotary tables with large center bores of 2" or more? I can remove the face plate and bore it out on my mill, then attach a chuck, but I need the rest of the shaft/bearings to have 2" or more.

You Could Get A 5 C Machinable Collets And Bore To 2" IF YOU DON'T NEED TO GO THREW THE TABLE LARGE ROTORY TABLE DO COME WITH 2" BORES BUT THEY ARE NOT CHEAP

If your stock is relatively short in nature, there are several 5C options.
    3" - 4" 5C mount 3 or 4 jaw chucks, you can purchase machineable collets up to 6 " in diameter or expandable I.D. collets. If you need the "thru" effect for a part 2" in diameter you will have to go with a super spacer or indexer.
    Best of luck.
    MarkT.