586,700 active members*
3,091 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Sub spindle build

So since yall dont know me, ill introduce my self and let ya know what I do and then i go into my build.

Jake Hoback i own and operate Jake Hoback knives. Been making knives and tools full time for almost 3 years now, but been making for the last 10 or so. I bought a Tormach PCNC1100 to help me expand my business and it has been great!

I did how ever run into a short fall with it having way too low of an RPM range for some of the stuff i run. i run some very small EM down to .046" so I need to be able to spin them at 30k or so. I use all sorts of materials from carbon fiber to hardened tool steel so it needs to be stout.

I thought about buying the speeder from Tormach but it was sold out and more hadent come in yet, then when it did I couldnt justify the huge price tag. So i made my own.

I utilize the entire 10"x18' working area of my table almost every time i turn it on so i couldnt just add a router to the side, it needed to be straight below the spindle.

bosch Colt to the rescue! I have $130 into the whole thing.

I needed repeatable, and easy to put on and off so I can run it as part of an OP and then take it back off.
    I managed to make it repeatable (needs a arm in the back to help with it though still) Surface grinder was a big help with this!
    I managed to make it easy to take off and on as well!

Im still working on getting it perfectly square to the spindle nose, but it works fine for right now until i have some more time. it is currently .026 off in y and .008 off in x. so I can just adjust my zero to take care of that for now.
    I use alibre
    Attachment 191734
    The lock bars on these titanium frames are .031"
    Attachment 191736
    clam shell mounts for spindle and colt
    Attachment 191738
    Coolant shield for colt, had some fun with this one, its toxic green g10
    Attachment 191740
    On the tormach making chips
    Attachment 191742
    Attachment 191744
    Attachment 191746
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0523.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	191748

Nicely done. I like the splash guard on the bottom.

had to have it, running titanium without coolant sucks!

I have a router sitting here for something just like that, I wouldn't mind if you emailed me the drawing

how do you add a zip file?

Quote Originally Posted by jake hoback View Post
    how do you add a zip file?
    Same as posting a picture, just zip it first.

Sent from tapatalk

On here works too, or email it and I can add it here for you.

-Brad

What file type do i need to export an Alibre assemb file? STEP?

IGES is a good option if you have it.

David

What file type do i need to export an Alibre assemb file? STEP?
    If you upload the Alibre assembly file, any Alibre users with your version or later will be able to open the parts and the assembly file since all the part files are included with a downloaded assembly file. Downloaders will then have the feature list for each part and can more easily edit to suit their purposes. There is also a "Project" file type in Alibre but I've not used that yet.

Mike

cant get it to load for some reason. I used winzip but it just fails every time. I can email it to somebody if they wanna post it up.

cant get it to load for some reason. I used winzip but it just fails every time. I can email it to somebody if they wanna post it up.
    You're not using "Insert Image" to attach a zip file are you?
    Click on "Go Advanced" at the bottom of the reply text box then click on "Manage Attachments".
    See the screen cap below.
    Gerry
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jake Screen Cap.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	192744
    Currently using SC7 Build 1.6 Rev. 64105

That rig is awesome! If I can ever get power to my shop and get my 1100 going, I will whip one up myself. Very impressive. Thanks for posting!

OK quick update. Colt developed some serious spindle runout today almost .05! Bearings went bad already. Im gonna return it tomorrow and give a colt another try for now, but i believe i will order a water cooled ER20 spindle from egay soon.

I have used the Colt for about 15-20hrs I would guess, on everything from titanium to annealed CPM S125V steel. It worked well, but after about 4 hrs of running today in some CPM 3V it crapped out on me. I have been using a lot of 1/8th 5 flute AlTiN coated EMs on it, go through about 7 a week worn out. so its getting some use. Im betting the next one wont hold up much better I was really hoping they would, but I also didnt realize how much I would use this thing! I use it on almost every setup I do now. its handle to have 30k RPM at your finger tips!

Im at a cross roads here though, as I use mostly 1/8th EMs and I am not getting the perfect RPM for them, I need around 6-7k to run them perfectly, I hazard thats why Im going through them so quick. The Colt will only go down to 16k and the 1100 only goes up to 5140 so its give and take. I have been using the Colt and taking a shallow DOC and high feeds, the EM tends to last a few more parts than when i use the 1100 spindle and drop every thing down to handle the low speed.

It sounds petty but I dont want to go up to a 3/16ths EM because the 1/8th works so well with my working area. I utilize, every single square .001" of the Tormach. I am .005 from the limit on every pallet i do.

Any one recommend anything for me?

build a 2:1 belt driven speeder for your tormach spindle. similar to what tormach offers but with your desired rpm in mind. you may be able to over speed your tormach spindle to that rpm. i know i can run my IH spindle up to 6500 rpm. if i want to run to 7500 i need to change to oil in the bearings and add a chiller.

Do you think the Colt's bearings failed due to radial tool pressure, or just too much time at high RPMs? If/when I get mine going, I'll be cutting wood at those RPMs to make custom grips for shifters.

Not sure if I have time but that may be an idea
    Quote Originally Posted by Runner4404spd View Post
    build a 2:1 belt driven speeder for your tormach spindle. similar to what tormach offers but with your desired rpm in mind. you may be able to over speed your tormach spindle to that rpm. i know i can run my IH spindle up to 6500 rpm. if i want to run to 7500 i need to change to oil in the bearings and add a chiller.

prob due to load, I only once used it at the 36000 rpm range, 99% of the time it was on the lowest setting 16000 RPM.

I think the bearing housing may have been the culprit, as I have heard they have a plastic bearing retainer? But who knows. I returned it this morn and Im back up and cutting again, seems fine now

This issue is why I got a 770. The smaller work envelope causes some challenges, but with mostly small endmills the runtime is about 85% over 5000 rpm. I have Tormach's die grinder and it works well, but it's not exactly convenient. Reliable high rpm is hard.