586,036 active members*
4,112 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Baby Cradle Plans

I am very new to the CNC router field. I just finished building a CRP 48 X 48 which I am finding out was the easy part. I have been struggling with deciding what CAD-CAM programs to purchase to do what I want without using up all my savings. Anyway, the only way I got my wife to agree to let me build the router was that my first project was to be a baby cradle for our first grandchild due next months. Time is running out! So my quest is to find some completed CNC g-code for a baby cradle. I am willing to pay for them if the completed cradle meet her approval (would need photos first)! Any ideas? Save me and my machine!!

I assume you mean some g-code for decorative carvings in parts of the baby cradle. I think most of the baby cradle building will be done with standard woodworking tools such as table saws, etc. Maybe if you give us an idea of exactly what you are looking for it will easy to help.

Don

Sorry about taking so long to respond, but after I started this thread I went out of town for a few days. What I am looking for is something like what this photo shows. It seems to me that the back and sids of the cradle were made with a cnc router. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ClassicCradleLG.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	192966

yes, the cutouts and the V-Carving was probably done with a CNC router. The cutouts would be very simple and the V-carving is basic. The V-carving could probably be done with a free software program like F-Engrave or you could buy a Vectric type program to handle the V-Carving.

Don

I think in the vetric fourm in the aspire section someone posted some files....

Just a word or two about cradle safety.
    I built a few similar cradles in the past using solid oak. You really do not want any holes in the sides and especially none in the ends. Wandering fingers. No need to allow that possibility. I would suggest for you to look up some safety guide lines on these before settling on a particular design. I built mine about 25 years ago, so no photo's, but I put a lot of thought into the safety aspect. One was for my Bosses newborn at the time. The other was for my daughter.

You want nice rounded edges and no slots. The rest of the design in the picture looks pretty good though.
    Lee

I agree with LeeWay.

It would look ok to set the depth of cut for those slots so that they don't go all the way through, or change the slots to a Vcarve tool path that doesn't go through. Either way keeps the slots as part of the design without potential finger problems.
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com