Closed Loop Servo Controller

When I started this project I had some clear objectives in mind (they became a bit blurred along the way !!) and now it is near completion I believe most of those objectives have been achieved. Although I take some satisfaction from completing the project I would appreciate comments and suggestions from fellow members of this forum about the value and potential use of this type of servo control. I would also ask if those who declare an interest might help test and evaluate the system.

System outline ----- The software converts a standard PC into a dedicated servo controller. This is a closed loop control which accepts positional feedback from encoders (TTL A/B Quadrature Square Wave) and outputs +/- 10 volt reference
Signals to drive analogue DC Servo Amplifiers.

Objectives
1 - To develop a Closed Loop Servo system suitable for light industrial use (CNC enthusiasts included) and is comparable in price to popular stepper systems.
2 - Retain the machines manual functions. Control will offer selectable operating modes – Manual with DRO – Partial CNC control - Full 3D CNC .
3 – Provide a simple but versatile operator interface.

The type of operator interface was influenced by objective 2, when switching from a manual to automatic control the operator needs the ability to enter commands directly without wading through a complex CAD routine, so the main input is a text based system. Manual programming is facilitated by a powerful parametric capability and for those who wish to continue with there
familiar programming package (Mach, Bobcad, etc) then the system will accept standard Gcode or DXF files.
I can’t provide a full description of the system here but I am posting details and pictures to my web pages which you are welcome to browse.
(This site is still under construction so please don’t be too critical !! Also be aware that the Software and PDF manual which are available for DOWNLOAD may not be complete http://freespace.virgin.net/mmj.potter)

Thanks for looking