586,103 active members*
3,726 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Mach Software (ArtSoft software) > Mach Mill > Motors freeze when moving more than one axis-mach3 and ESS

Angry Motors freeze when moving more than one axis-mach3 and ESS

Hello all. I'm going to try and quickly sum up what's been going on, but still provide as much detail as possible to help you guys help me

CNC setup: Ethernet smoothstepper, KL-4030 drivers, 425oz/in stepper motors, and C10 BoB. All from automation technology inc.

I had an old computer, pentium D processor, 2g ram, 256mb vid card, about 10 years old, running XP that was working great, other than it kept running out of virtual memory, and kept giving me errors about the buffer limit on the smoothstepper, which I assumed was because of the virtual memory, and it only happened whenever I tried to do ANYTHING else during a cut, or it had to do a string of quick cuts. btw the smoothstepper was set to 2mhz and the motors were each 256khz i believe. So I got a new computer-i7 Core, 6gb ram, HP, windows 7. Now there are currently three problems:
    1. I still get the warning about running out of buffer space, but I'm set at 4mhz, so I"m going to bump that down and recalibrate and see if that happens again.
    2. I cannot move 4 axises at the same time. Mach3 doesn't even register the 4th button being pushed, as it doesn't change the 4th axises position on the DRO. Not that that is a huge deal in manual, but I can't do it with Gcode either. And some complex 4 axis stuff will require that.
    3. Most important: My motors are freezing when I try to move more than 1, whether it's manually, or with Gcode. It's not all the time, but it happens when I need to cut arcs, or anything more than a straight line. They just make a medium pitched "errrrrrrrr" noise while the DRO moves, but the motors do not, and to me that shows the poles are slipping but i'm not sure. The machine is new, and stays oiled (Taig 2019 cr/er) and is not binding, and the gibs are not too tight. It did not do this before this computer. This is happening in all positions at any time.

lastly, i was working with it last night, and seemed to get everything working, and my machine drilled two holes just fine on the -90* position on my fourth axis, I changed tools, hit cycle start, it turned and faced off the top side at the 0* position, then when it turned to the +90* position, it's like it started going backwards. It is supposed to go from - to + Y, in linear x axis passes .25mm wide, but everytime it came back for the next pass, it was further away from the work, as if it was moving backwards, but it calibrates just fine, and doesn't seem to be missing steps.

oh sorry, one more thing, if I need to change any settings, please let me know. they are all the same settings from the last computer and it worked fine then, just the computer loved blue screens. I will try anything at this point.

ANY AND ALL HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! PLEASE LET ME KNOW ANY AND ALL INFORMATION NEEDED, AND I WILL BE HAPPY TO GIVE IT TO YOU.

If I had to guess, I'd say that all these issues are related to Smoothstepper setup.
    I've never used one, though, so don't have any answers for you.

If nobody here has any suggestions, you might want to try the Warp9 forum.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)