586,110 active members*
3,232 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Fadal VMC Rigidity for Machining Steel

Fadal VMC Rigidity for Machining Steel

My shop is thinking about buying a Fadal VMC for machining steel parts. Have any of you Fadal operators had any issues with VMC rigidity when putting high loads on spindles when cutting steel? What problems do Fadal VMC's typically have? How does Haas compare to Fadal in this regard. Thanks for any help.

Ray

I have a 4" VMAX (8 inserts) face mill; my machine is a 94 so may not be true of newer machines; which I run carefully so as not to get chatter - machine takes it fine though.
    I have not used a Haas but have researched them and IMO Haas and Fadal are of equal caliber.
    If I were buying new and not going high end (Makino) I would very seriously look at Fadal's performance series machines with the Siemens control.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

I've ran both haas and fadal and they are both good machines for belt drive if your going to just cut steel and you want a long life time for machine get the gear head or buy a matsuura used rather than a new fadal or haas if you do large dia. taps I've seen the spindle stall on the belt drive when tapping some steels ie. 4140

Quote Originally Posted by kurbelgehause
    My shop is thinking about buying a Fadal VMC for machining steel parts...How does Haas compare to Fadal in this regard.
    Ray
    IMO, neither of your choices are any good at all for steel material.
    Your word, "heavy spindle loads" are where these two VMC are least capable.
    You would be far better off buying a used heavy CNC.
    For reference, we now have a new Mori Sieki 40 x 20 Travel CNC that out weighs A 6030 Fadal... Always, when machining steel, a heavy CNC is better than a lighter one, Box ways are better than linear...
    Scott_bob

I generally agree that Fadal and Haas are not rigid enough for effective steel cutting. The new heavy duty series Fadals MAY be worth a look at. Have them do a test cut. They seem much beefier than the standard models but I never had one so I can't verify how much better they are. We have some Taiwanese iron here. Yang MV-5A with Fanuc control. 51.5 by 30 by 30 travel, 50 taper. Machine weighs 35,500lbs. I bought it new in 1998. It cuts like a bear but I don't think it is made anymore. GREAT machine. I have a Fadal vmc 15 linear guide machine. We only use it for graphite. NO WAY can you cut steel quickly on it. We also have a Johnford HMC-900 bridge style machine (Taiwanese iron with Fanuc 18M control) GREAT CONTROL. Machine is so-so. Their C frame machines are worth look though - good price/performance ratio. My first test would be a heavy duty series Fadal. Fadal is a very dependable machine in my experience (18 years). If the heavy duty machines perform (go with the FANUC control) that's what I would go with. Most Taiwan iron has quality issues. (Not the MV5A) I love that thing.

Smile Fadals

We have a 2005 VMC4020 Fadal with Fanuc 18i Mb5 control, I cut mild steels tool steels, alum, copper, bronze. We use a 4" face mill and up to 1.25 roughers all the time. Performance is great have had and ran Mazak's and Okumas in the past and would gladly go heads up any day with them. Oh ya my machine is a full box way machine with two speed gear box and 10,000 rpm spindle. I will buy another with out hesitation this year!!! My honest opinion never ever buy a linear way machine, no matter what a sales guy tells you it is not as ridgid as a box way machine. If he says she will do it, do a side by side comparison cut on the boxer till she starts to shake then take the cutter and the steel over to a linear way machine run the same feeds and speeds you just ran and watch him hit cycle stop in a big hurry!!!!

Fadal is ok. Many better, but it will do what you want. I work in a shop that has 5 of them now and I have run many many machines, including the haas. Haas is better, rigidity and control. Wish I could get my hands on a new fadal to try it out.

Gents, Thanks for all the info!

All your experience is very valuable to me. Thanks for taking the time to answer. :cheers:

Thanks,

Ray

which Fadal u r going to purchase
    machine is good no doubt but machine wants extra care then others

I have a VMC 15 and it made hundreds of steel jaws 1018. But I had best results with
    a smaller endmills, like 0.5 inch. I think if you can save money on the VMC
    but don't skimp on the cutting tools. Tell us what your cutting and how deep
    and someone here with a VMC will let you know if they have done that before..

Eddie Weeks
    http://www.corpcomp.com/weeks1/