586,113 active members*
3,505 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > Hobby Discussion > Help With Building New Machine

Exclamation Help With Building New Machine

Hi Everyone,

Im starting to build a brand new CNC Mill and I wanted throw a few ideas and questions out there for everyone to look at and hopefully answer.

First of all, here is the design I want to replicate: Building a drawer slide CNC machine for under $200!

Instead of using a Dremel like the gentleman from Instructables did, I want to use a Dewalt cut out tool like this one: DEWALT Cut-Out Tools | Find Tools and Accessories

The design and construction seem to be pretty straight-forward if I follow my plans. The part I am really having trouble with is all of the software required to run this thing. It seems like every good software I find has a trial period or it doesnt allow me to save my work. Does anyone have a good suggestion on a user friendly CAD software I can use? I would prefer to have a CAD/CAM software to eliminate having tons of programs. I also need a program that will create a G-Code for me. All of the programs I currently have dont seem to be compatible with eachother, my CAD program saves under a file type that my G-Code generator soesnt recognize. I forgot to mention, Im after free programs, I dont have the budget to buy any software....

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies! And in case you were wondering, yes I am new to CNC and any advise from you PROs out there will be greatly appreciated!!!!!
    Electronics Man

Good Morning,

That little DeWalt is a nice tool. Lots of power for the size. As for the software, I am afraid that you will be nickle and dimed to death for all the small packages or have to pay a big price for all in one software. It is a market, after all.

Have you looked at Linux? LinuxCNC.Org has EMC2 for driving your machine. There are Arduino microcontroller options as well and the GRBL CNC software.

As for CAD, there is FreeCad, Inkscape, other CAD or drawing programs. Inkscape has plugins to dump a SVG drawing to DXF and also to g-code. There are simulators available that will import the g-code and test it. FreeMill is one. NCPlot is another that is free for version 1.1 or so. EMC2 can also be run in a test mode so the machine is not moved while checking the actual g-code.

Alot of Windows XP programs can also run under Wine for Linux. This gives you a broad array of choices. With all of these components to pick from, the big issue is your project path. How to get from conception to machine.

#1 - Sketch, draw or design using Inkscape, FreeCad, etc. This gets you the drawing (SVG) or CAD (DXF).
    #2 - Make g-code out of the drawing or CAD.
    #3 - Test the g-code. This is important and allows you to see mistakes that may be hidden in your g-code. Use FreeMill or other products. Generally called backplotter.
    #4 - Run your machine controller and import the g-code file. Run the file after setting up the material and tool.

Many folks on this site use the free products and go through the "process" of getting from the beginning to the end. The nice thing about using individual software components is you can pick the best one for the job without having to settle for what was included in the all-in-one suite. Linux provides a free environment and software. Windows is a pay as you go proposition and can get pricey.

Hope this helps. If you need more info or lists of software, let me know. I'm a good researching.

Draftsight is probably the best free CAD program you'll find.

And check out the free version of CAMBAM for creating g-code.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I use draftsight also. Excellent free cad.

I use cut2d for the cam part of it. The cam program is the one that writes the g-code. Cut2d has an in program simulator.

I use mach3 for running the cutter. I also use mach3 on my laptop to simulate the g-code.

I draw and program everything on my laptop or net book, then I use a stand alone pc for the machine.

The Cut2d license is good on three machines. Mach3 on one machine. Draftsight is unlimited but you register it for each machine. I have it one 2 desktops, a Mac mini, and 2 laptops. Never had any hassle or calls or anything for draftsight or vectric.