586,062 active members*
4,713 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > High pressure coolant problems-corroding way lube lines

High pressure coolant problems-corroding way lube lines

We have 5 Haas SS verticles. 2 VF4's and 3 VF2's. We machine cast iron. We are experiencing some serious problems with the TSC systems. Seems as though our coolant, Eco-cool from Fuchs is eating away the brass-bronze check valves in the TSC system. This is allowing the coolant to back feed into the air system, and the drawbar cylinder. Causing tool changer faults and electrical problems.

The way lube lines are a copper based alloy?? They are basically being corroded away. When the tech took the way cover off the tubing was covered in a green fuzz. These machines are only a yr old.

Haas has commented that this is a coolant problem and don't seem too concerned. They have replaced the check valves on 1 machine with more brass ones. Has anyone had similiar problems?

All our Matsuuras don't seem to have this problem with the coolant.

I assume changing coolant type is the last resort for internal reasons, so I would recommend making bushings inhouse out of alternate materials as a litmus test to see if this is really the issue? Perhaps involve Haas in this if they will help?
    MarkT.

Bob We run the same Fucs product and also cut cast iron (aswell as cast aluminum) I have seen the green fuzz, but never to the point of eating the lube lines.
    What concentration level are you running the coolant? we tend to run ours around the 7% mark.
    You may want to get some "Grotan" anti bacterial anti fungal addative, you may also have a bacteria problem if your concentration levels have been too high for too long.

good luck
    menomana

Bob D You might want to check your water supply chemistry. I've seen some very strange stuff in water. Even had to switch one company to de-ionized water.
    RZ