586,065 active members*
4,327 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Okuma cadet lathe Z problem

Okuma cadet lathe Z problem

Turned my okuma lathe on today and got "400 servo alarm: Z axis overload" and "414 servo alarm: Z axis detect err". Machine was in the home position when I turned it off yesterday, can't clear these alarms at all, can't home or move machine. Any ideas? Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

My cadet has a fanuc control on it

An Okuma, with a fanuc control?

Yes it has a 18T fanuc on it, I bought it used from a General Motors plant locally , GM had fanuc installed when they ordered them, it's been a great machine

I choose Okuma to not deal with Fanuc problems. Sorry, I will be of no help. However, you may want to check something like a Hardinge or Nakamura forum. Probably find better info from Fanuc based machines IMHO.

turn off main power and move Z axis manually to distance from limit position

Lots more support for fanuc than okuma controls.

Need to look at diag. 200 and see what bits are a 1. Ovc= over current, lvc= low voltage, etc. I'm also betting you have alpha servo amps, so there should be a 7 segment display on that. Post back what it is.

On the bright side, fanuc has all those parts in stock, so does T.E.N., not like Okuma who will want to sell you a retrofit drive for 10k.

more support for fanuc than okuma controls
    how it helps is case of machine diagnostics? Only Okuma troubleshooter can lead step by step to fault location. Fanuc says "control works great. see for problem elsewhere"

You must not deal with Fanuc very often...

Years ago, I had to replace a spindle drive on a LB15. All the early ones used Fanuc spindle drives. Okuma kept sending drives, just to get one bad one after another. Okuma said, you must be doing something wrong. Had the local Fanuc office send a tech out. He took one look at the "rebuilds" okuma sent and couldn't believe it. After an hour and a couple parts, the original was in the machine running perfect. Customers machine still runs today.

I like OSP controls, but I don't like Okuma. You can still buy parts for early 80's fanuc drives right from fanuc. Try to get a bld drive, or a type A drive for a mid 90s okuma. They want to sell you a replacement drive, usually costing more than the machines worth.

Had to replace the drive, works great now

Hi Rob, I also bought an Okuma LNC8 Cadet with fanuc control from GM. My problem is it did not come with any back up parameters and the battery backups for some reason got disconnected. Is there any chance you have backup parameters even a hard copy? If not could you provide me with your servo setting data I'm very close, I worked out all of the alarms except 417 invalid servo parameter?

Thanks,

I replace my battery every year, don't have a hard copy of parameters, where you located in USA?

I'm based out of Lumberton NJ.

Back them up anyway. If you don't, you'll be sorry. If you have RS232 set up already, your 95% there.

Yeah we have communications set up, no idea how to do it

Tell me how and I can send you copy of mine

Main parameters (nc side)
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/fanuc/...arameters.html
    Then you need to save the PMC parameters, ill see if i already have something written up for that, but its basically system-PMC softkey-right arrow-i/o. if the I/O does not disply, you may need to change a keep relay to display the page. Worth doing.

I was just about to send him the same link "underthetire". Once you back the parameters up you should be able to save them to a file. All I need would be the basic parameters. Send me a pm link of them.

Thank you,

Ok I will try tomorrow

Send me an email at [email protected], I got the parameters saved and ready to send you