586,123 active members*
3,378 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > Diemaking / Diecutting > PROBLEM: Diecut a hexagonal rod

PROBLEM: Diecut a hexagonal rod

I am wondering if anyone has tried diecutting the outer diameter of a hexagonal rod. If so, are there any tips you can give on picking the correct die to match the extruded hexagonal rod. I am wanting to use the hexagonal rod as a guide rail, whilst being able to thread the end with enough thread to tighten a nut, not needing to hold much force. Thanks for reading this.

Turn the end in a lathe to a standard diameter and then thread it. If you don't make it round first, the points of the hex will catch in the 'chip' area of the die. Or if it isn't real important for strength use the correct size Pal nut to fit the diameter of the hex, measured over the points of the hex. Pal Nuts | DIN 7967 Counter Nuts |

I'm hoping to make it work without the lathe. I was thinking I would put the stock in a drill, put the die in the holder, in a vice, and just drill the threads onto the hex stock. The only thing I am unsure of is how to order matching die and hex size to get the most thread out of my stock. Also, I've heard of Pal Nuts, but they would not help for my application. thanks for your help