586,688 active members*
2,922 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

cam soft-galil-sureservo

Any one out there recently hook up a sure servo with a galil 18x2 and cam soft? I think I am loosing what is left of my feeble mind. I know the encoders are working , the camsoft tuning will run the motors, but I can't get controled motion, the galil tuning software isn't giving me any errors, but I can't get the motors to move from the command line.

I think there must be some thing I missed in the 900 pages of manuals
    The motors are sure servo low inertia 400 w motors with the corresponding amps

How are trying to command the move?
    have you tried a Galil native command through the Galil terminal program, if the tuning program runs the drive then it cannot be much?
    You have encoder feedback to Galil I assume?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Montabelli,

PM a copy of your .cbk and any electrical drawings of your electrical connections between the ICM module and the SureServ drives.

I have done several of the SureServo installations with great success.

Del

Del will likely fix you right up.

One thing I do in this situation is go to diagnostics and click the "why is it not moving" button.

I also like to check check things out using only the Galil smart terminal.

Karl

sorry I'm so slow, I have been tying to sort out the galil commands, run my business and build my wife a new kitchen.

I bought the galil software, scope etc. , I have the motors set up in torque mode, I put the 1822 board in a different computer and am running it with the galil terminal as it is supposed to tune better than cam soft. I have shut off the auto tune in the sure amps as I suspect it is not the best to have two auto systems compensating for each other.

so far the only thing I seem to have accomplished is if I try and turn one of the motors by hand, it resists and the scope goes nuts, as expected.

the setup is for a two axis machine ( hotwire). the motors are wired as follows mocmdx to torque in on the ziplink card, signal grnd x to grnd. ampenx to di1 on zip link set to no showing +5 v and enable servo di18 is also set to nc is showing +5 v. the encoder wiring is not an issue, as both seem to work.

y is wired the same way, the setup is not in a machine yet so no limit switches are wired.

every thing is running ttl now, I have +5v showing on all di inputs on the zip link I have all the di settings disabled except

there is no motion from the autotune on the galil program, the only motion I have been able to induce is from the camsoft auto tune and I get an overflow error on that . I can run a test tune fro the camsoft and pass the test, but can't get a jog to complete.

since the camsoft factor is not in play at present, I must have something screwed up in the settings. or the wiring

I have never used Sureservo, but as they will also operate as a stand alone servo controller, I would think the answer is in the drive set up to allow the drive to act as a non-intelligent drive would so the Galil has total control?
    Does the manual cover this?
    Al.

Albert E.

If the Sure Servo amp drives and motors were purchased from us or through one of our dealers, there would be a separate pamphlet provided that covers these particular model numbers. Sure Servo is one of many brands we offer and there are several model sizes and connector options so be careful the documentation matches.

Tech Support
    CamSoft Corp.
    [email protected]
    PH 951-674-8100
    Fax 951-674-3110
    PC Based CNC Control For The Machine Tool CNC Retrofit And CNC Controller OEM Market
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

OK you're stuck. Happens to me all the time. Take a break, back up and restart from the beginning.

read the heck out of the sure servo manuals to find how to set them up in dumb mode so that Galil controls everything.

Next. I'd get the Galil install manuals and follow their install instructions.

Then, I'd check it against the Camsoft servo installation wiring. They've got a great wiring diagram.

I would stick with Galil only till you got the servos moving. I assume you got WSKD or Galil tools. Follow their "getting started" procedure to first check encoders, then polarity, then sevo tune.

Karl

Man have I been having fun. I reversed the polarity of the encoders and that seems to have solved one of my problems, I am currently of the opinion that I have a problem with one sure servo amp. I can get controlled motion trough one amp and not the other when I swap the zip cable from the zip card to the amp the problem stays with the same motor since the channel with the problem changes it must be the amp. if I switch the motor the problem stays with the amp.

I had tried step and direction as well but that experiment went no where either. now I'm back to torque. I think maybe I'll get this under control some day.

new amp came in today,for the first time controlled motion from bot motors at the same time and no related hair loss. I think I'm over the hump.

another go around this time I have 2 kw sure servo motors and I have them tuned semi adequately, but thy won't deliver the power to the motor. I truly think I need dumb down the drives. I have them in manual tune mode with high stiffness and fast response. (max setting ) and cant get the machine to run at fast jog, and the programs will barely run at about 50% of programmed speed, which is pretty slow. the problem seems to be excessive position error. the acceleration is set pretty slow and at the. any notions where I am going wrong?

I had an interesting conversation with an applications engineer about the sure servo settings, he said the the drives should be in velocity mode as the only type of feed back you can get from an encoder is velocity related. getting actual torque feed back would require some other sort of feedback device.

I also understand that the recommended setting is torque mode, in either case the signal from the galil card is +_ 10 volt. is there a significant difference in how the process works? essentially it applies power to the motor to achieve the count expected in the feed back loop, over simplified but accurate?

There is a very good instructional video by Dr Tal on the Galil site that gets into drives design and the differences between Torque and velocity.
    Al.

Albert E.