586,060 active members*
4,164 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

How to Identify?

So I walk into my favorite surplus scrap yard to pick up some metal I need for a project and Lo and Behold there are 6 pallets of lathe and mill goodies, I couldn,t believe it. Now I don,t own a mill or a lathe yet but they are definetly coming so my question is how do you identify which cutters go to which taper? when I get a mill and lathe should I just take my spindle and chuck with me and match it that way? Some of you guys that are expierenced with this stufff would love to have been there, cutters, chucks, pulleys , gears and stuff I don,t even know what it was or what it's called. But it look cool...

That A Wide Open Question If It A Mill Cutter It Will A More Than On Cutting Edge As Far As Tapers You Can Get Adptors For The Shank You Need To Hold Used Stuff Is All Over The Place But If You Are Not Going To Use It Why Buy Now What Till You Need It

Oh I didn,t buy any of it, yeah I have nothing to use them on. But I was just looking at everything and saying to myself damn how do you tell what goes to what. Here for instance, lets take r8 collets and 3mt collets they look pretty darn similar, will a r8 collet work with a 3mt collet holder?

r-8 is a brigdeport style holder 3mt means #3 morse taper does a round hole fit in a square just an example

Gotcha

R8 collets look way different than MT3. MT3 have one continues taper. R8 has a shallow taper at first, then a steep taper at the end. If you are looking at the tools, it should be obvious which is which. Most other tapers should have flanges at the end (I think). Lathe collets are 5C and kinda look like R8, but are shorter and fatter. Lathe bits should look obvously different from endmills. Um, what else do you see? - Zachery

Some Lathe Use Some Use 5c

ZipSnipe I think this will help some.

Nikolas

Thanks for that link CNCgr, have it bookmarked

Tiger

Yeah Many thanx CNCgr, that is a way valuable link.