586,655 active members*
2,814 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Syil Products > Syil x4 or x5 as CAD/CAM training 4 axis CNC machine ???

Syil x4 or x5 as CAD/CAM training 4 axis CNC machine ???

I am considering a purchase of either Syil x4 or x5 CNC milling machine. I was wondering if anyone has one of these. Have you got any advice on which of them to buy?

Syil uk is currently selling the X4 for 5650 pounds and x5 for 6850 pounds with a 12 month warranty. This set includes 4-th.

Buying used machine questionable, as if something will go wrong with it, I would have to ask an engineer to come and fix it. And that would cost a lot...

I do understand that Syil is made as a modular machine. The parts like motors, controllers, are easy to replace. The only problem could be with the main board, but again I was informed that Syil UK sells parts for these as well.

I would like to purchase this machine for a learning purpose (Cad Cam programming). I would like to use it to cut some aluminium, maybe steel as well. I saw on Youtube someone cutting titanium using HSM on Sieg X3 with conversion. I found in one of the posts that someone described x4 as much more rigid and beefy comparing to Sieg kx3 (I think it’s similar to x3) so I hope actually to do some real cutting

Tormach is beyond my financial abilities as full price would be over 22000 pounds inc. tax

Now few questions:
    1.If anybody have Syil x4 or x5 please can you give me some info about reliability and rigid.
    2. X4 and x5 are very similar. Differences are stronger x and y motors, x4- 2.4Nm x5- 3.5Nm. and x5 weight about 100 kg more ( bigger casting, more rigid I think...). Is it worth to pay an extra 1200 pounds for that?

If you have any suggestions please share.

Regards Arek

currently syil uk resell model total 2013 series,which use delta vfd replace the old brushless motors,
    the x5 which use linear compare the x4 more precision,and long time for use.as they just have a shipment left to UK.so good luck.
    have a nice day.
    syil china.
    Direction,Commitment,Follow through

We bought X4 from Syil UK Distributor.
    Generally the machine is good, a few minor issues upon arrival and details fed back to Syil.
    UK distributor, at the time (2 years ago) had no real technical experience or support capabilities on the Syil and service was generally sloppy. They never really seemed to be interested in fixing their issues.
    We ended up paying for one of their existing customers to come and inspect and provide training on it.

Our machine is used to mill Aluminium only, we have not used it much, but what we have seen we have been pleased with.
    There is a definite learning curve on the CAM side of things (Speeds/feeds etc)

Recently we have been looking at Datron products, such as C5 and M7. Saw their M10 in action at a show recently and was blown away at how well it was built.
    These were being offered in the region of 6K/7K Euro.

They might be worth looking into.

I have an X4 Plus that we use for wood, plastic, aluminum, steel and stainless steel. It is a light duty machine and works well if you take light cuts on the hard materials. A couple of issues I do not like is the slop in the table gibs towards the end of the travel extents and no provision for adjusting tram except by inserting shims in the column.

If you can afford the expense, go for the bigger machine and linear rails.

All in all though, I have been happy with the machine.

If you remove the X and Y gibs, and true them on a surface grinder, you can get it down to 0.001" slop and good at end of travel. Keep well lubricated.
    Cleaning them up by hand won't get it that good. Z axis is a bit more tricky due to the taper.
    Until I had a surface grinder, it was difficult. You can do the Y gib using X4 as a surface grinder, locking up the Y axis with a temporary packer.
    The Y axis is more critical as the axis is shorter. Put table at end of travel, and push and pull until it is almost perfect. Takes some work.
    Lack of adjustments, makes it difficult to get the geometry exactly square, but then the problem becomes, how do you measure it, to be sure.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Well, I don't have a surface grinder so I'll try mounting a cup wheel in my manual mill and see how close I can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Wells View Post
    We bought X4 from Syil UK Distributor.
    Generally the machine is good, a few minor issues upon arrival and details fed back to Syil.
    UK distributor, at the time (2 years ago) had no real technical experience or support capabilities on the Syil and service was generally sloppy. They never really seemed to be interested in fixing their issues.
    We ended up paying for one of their existing customers to come and inspect and provide training on it.

Our machine is used to mill Aluminium only, we have not used it much, but what we have seen we have been pleased with.
    There is a definite learning curve on the CAM side of things (Speeds/feeds etc)

Recently we have been looking at Datron products, such as C5 and M7. Saw their M10 in action at a show recently and was blown away at how well it was built.

What is the price on the Datron M10? I thought those were over 100,000 euro? You guys are really stepping up from Syil then. When you saw the M10 at the show, how noisy was the spindle when running? I saw the videos and it looks like a splendid machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Wells View Post

6/7K euro?

Is this a typo?