586,076 active members*
3,893 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > Turn 3D Printer into Milling Machine

Turn 3D Printer into Milling Machine

Hi, I have a 3D printer (reprap) uses Arduino board. At the moment I am using open source 3D printing software to operate it.

I am planning to replace the printing head with a Dremel or Die Grinder, and use it as lightweight milling machine.

My question is what is you recommended open source or low cost CAM software that may work well. It has to be able to detect the control board via USB. I know that many CAM software works with parallel port only.

Thank you.

I don't own a mill or a 3d printer, so you are miles ahead of me,
    Never seen a 3d printer turned into a mill. Not sure that a 3d printer can push a tool into/through materials. Mills are allot more ridged as far as side to side deflection versus a printer. Also, can a Reprap support the weight of the tool?

I have see discussions on turning cnc routers into 3d printers or cnc mills. Perhaps the way to go is to buy a kit without electronics and use your controller and stepper motors.

Thanks for the reply. I am using a Zen toolwork platform which was designed for cnc application. it used leadscrew and drives using high torque nema17 steppers. The issue I have is the arduino controller I used has a usb interface, which many cam software not supporting.

I have done a bit research since and found grbl firmware and it's associated cam software did support ardiuno controller. The problem with grbl is that it won't work for 3d printing. I'll have to upload 3d printing firmware when printing, and change to gbrl firmware when milling. It's not ideal.