586,062 active members*
4,758 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Upgrading Haas vf-3 spindle

Okay hello everyone, Im mostly a lurker but I have a couple questions.
    back story first.
    machine is a vf-3 made in November of 1996

In Feb. this year we had what I though was a bearing in our vf-3 spindle go bad.
    called out our local Hfo tech and they said it was gear box and motor. replace gear box and motor and somehow they wiped out the I/o board during motor replacement.

After being down 1.5 - 2 weeks its up and running (this is our production work horse, practically had the owner crying that it was down so long. I had our 4 double vises on a tm1 trying to keep up)

Come to find the noise is still there. but tech leaves after "checking" everything. go to run my first batch of parts and find the spindle is turning backwards and then I have an alarm for low transmission fluid pressure. ad fluid call the tech he fixes spindle direction. claiming our spindle bearing are fine and the new noise is from the new gear box.

so after complaining multiple times and month have gone by running on a bad bearing I needed some more work done not related to the spindle but made sure the new tech could diagnois the sound. and he comes back with a bad spindle bearing after disconnecting the gearbox and belt and running motor. then I gave him the low down on our history with the machine.

now the new gear box and motor are good for 10k according to the packaging with the motor.
    now we replaced the spindle last week with one that also states good to 10k

I want to know what else I may need to replace upgrade or parameters I need to change to get to 10k. our local hfo says they no longer do these upgrades.

any help would be appreciated

Thanks
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by yellow68gto View Post
    Okay hello everyone, Im mostly a lurker but I have a couple questions.
    back story first.
    machine is a vf-3 made in November of 1996

In Feb. this year we had what I though was a bearing in our vf-3 spindle go bad.
    called out our local Hfo tech and they said it was gear box and motor. replace gear box and motor and somehow they wiped out the I/o board during motor replacement.

After being down 1.5 - 2 weeks its up and running (this is our production work horse, practically had the owner crying that it was down so long. I had our 4 double vises on a tm1 trying to keep up)

Come to find the noise is still there. but tech leaves after "checking" everything. go to run my first batch of parts and find the spindle is turning backwards and then I have an alarm for low transmission fluid pressure. ad fluid call the tech he fixes spindle direction. claiming our spindle bearing are fine and the new noise is from the new gear box.

so after complaining multiple times and month have gone by running on a bad bearing I needed some more work done not related to the spindle but made sure the new tech could diagnois the sound. and he comes back with a bad spindle bearing after disconnecting the gearbox and belt and running motor. then I gave him the low down on our history with the machine.

now the new gear box and motor are good for 10k according to the packaging with the motor.
    now we replaced the spindle last week with one that also states good to 10k

I want to know what else I may need to replace upgrade or parameters I need to change to get to 10k. our local hfo says they no longer do these upgrades.

any help would be appreciated

Thanks
    Ken

Boy I sure hope your tech was correct with the original diagnosis on the bad gearbox. Doesn't sound like you got the best of service there, that is very unfortunate.

To answer your question, you will probably need a different spindle drive. What kind do you have now?
    If you are really determined to get to 10K and your dealer will not help you, you could always try calling the factory direct and asking them what is involved with the upgrade.

Good luck!

The original motor and gear box was fine. Everything in the head of our machine was replaces in 06 other then the spindle assembly which was original. also I had been fighting very moist air and probably toasted the spindle bearing due to that and 7500 rpm all day everyday.

The HFO was not willing to "help alleviate the pain in their mistake" in any way once their own second tech verified the original issue. so we had to eat a 8k maintenance bill. We now are no longer using the HFO and using an independent service guy, so far so good.

Getting to 10k will allow me to run this machine longer and when time comes add to the shop, not upgrade and replace this one. It has been great for years. I am just running at max all the time now. We are looking at other machines but I would like to upgrade this if I can, seeing we have almost 10k into it this year in maintenance.

its not a haas motor driver, I forget the brand, machine is currently running productions so I cant get into the cabinet. I will update later when I can

we have tried calling haas directly with no luck.

Thanks
    Ken

Ken,
    I have a 1995 VF3 and I was getting that low transmission fluid pressure Alarm. To make a long story short, in the end it was the Trans Fluid pressure Sensor. Haas didn't have any trouble shooting procedure (like what psi it takes to trip the sensor) so since it was pretty cheap (I think $35 or so) I just replaced it and that alarm has gone away.
    Hope this helps.
    Tony
    [email protected]
    http://www.xenomechanics.com

the low fluid pressure was pretty easy and a 4 dollar fix. when the tech changed out the gear box he shortened up the pressure side tube to the gear box, usually coiled up so it wont break syphon. ours would drain and the pump was having to reprime its self every time you hit the spindle button etc. so 4 dollars in tubing and 500 serive later. the 500 service included having the tech double check the spindle (original problem months ago)

hopefully I am not being to confusing, very frustrated right now.

ok the driver is a Magnetech GPD 503 I found I have the manual for it and will be studying it today..

on to our newest problem, looks like our x-axis servo driver took a dive on us last night. swapping cards with the spare 4th axis drive now

thanks everyone

Ken