586,103 active members*
3,854 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > CNC Plasma / Oxy Fuel Cutting Machines > Look for a CNC plasma and trying to see what I should get

Look for a CNC plasma and trying to see what I should get

Hello all, the company I work for has me looking into get a 5'x10' plasma table, we usually cut gauge thick material (18-10) in either steel, stainless and aluminum. Sometimes we do 1/4" aluminum and stainless and up to 1/2" steel. We are a custom shop so this is not something that will be running all day every day, maybe 2 to 3 hours a day. I am being told that water tables would cut down on my consumables life and more dross compared to using a down draft table but the problem with a down draft table is this fume extractors are so damn expensive. I basically have 60k to work with but I might be able to squeeze out 70k. Any reconditions and advice would be great.

I'd be more than happy to help steer you in the right direction. We work with over 85 manufacturers of CNC plasma cutting machines, all of which use our plasma cutters, cnc controls, torch height controls and software. A little more info regarding how much material in each thickness, tolerance and edge quality expectations, etc will help choose the right clas of plasma cutter as well as cnc machine for your need.

Water tables do affect cut quality, but do not (when used with the proper type torch that is rated for water table applications) generally affect consumable life. Downdraft tables, properly designed, produce the best cut quality and are easy to maintain, no water stains or rust on the material and machine.

Jim Colt Hypertherm [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Bigt_cb View Post
    Hello all, the company I work for has me looking into get a 5'x10' plasma table, we usually cut gauge thick material (18-10) in either steel, stainless and aluminum. Sometimes we do 1/4" aluminum and stainless and up to 1/2" steel. We are a custom shop so this is not something that will be running all day every day, maybe 2 to 3 hours a day. I am being told that water tables would cut down on my consumables life and more dross compared to using a down draft table but the problem with a down draft table is this fume extractors are so damn expensive. I basically have 60k to work with but I might be able to squeeze out 70k. Any reconditions and advice would be great.

Give us a shot our can gobble up that material 24/7/365. Soon we will have a Hydef qualification so your plasma cutting density will leave you with superb cuts on a broad range of thicknesses.
    Now featuring Plasmaland online

Jim, thanks for getting back to me. Most of our cutting will be 14 and 12 gauge Cold roll Steel, large pieces roughly 28"x90" with between 32-44 9/16"dia. holes. and for 11 and 10 gauge steel would be smaller pieces where we need to get as many parts as possible out of a full sheet so I thinking a system where I have autonest and common line cutting. The tightest tolerance I have on these parts is 1/32" but if I can get 1/64" it would make my life easier. I know holes wont be as nice as punching or drilling but most are bolt holes and once assembled no one will see them. I know with a air plasma running shop air I will have to grind before I Tig the parts. Everything I make in house has to be deburred so I hope a CS unitech Rolie5 running a 60 grit will be enough to remove the dross that forms. A few times a year we send out parts to be cut that are 1/2" thick and we hosed on the price because of how few we need so I would like to be able to do it in house also and maybe even get the 3/4" parts away from a competitor.

DDelaney Guest
    EZ Cut CNC offers both down-draft and water tables with a variety of Thermal Dynamics and Hypertherm plasma cutter options. Our systems come in 4'x8', 5'x10', and 6'x10' cutting areas and are ideal for custom metal fabricators and small/medium size businesses that require industrial metal cutting. When you purchase a system from EZ Cut CNC it includes on-site installation and training, which we have found to be a tremendous help in improving our customer's productivity. You can find out more about our systems at http://www.ezcutcncplasma.com or call us at 888-759-7184.

Also, here is a customer testimonial video we recently did with a custom fab shop in Wisconsin.

DDelaney, what software to you run on your machines? Also on a 5'x10' downdraft table how many CFM's do you recommend?

DDelaney Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigt_cb View Post
    DDelaney, what software to you run on your machines? Also on a 5'x10' downdraft table how many CFM's do you recommend?
    We run EZ Cut G Code programming software with a user-friendly Job Console interface. Our cutting software is complete with a shape library, pre-loaded cutting parameters for the plasma cutter, kerf-compensation, lead-ins and lead-outs, nesting, and plate cut-off. And, with a down-draft table, we recommend a minimum of 1750 CDMA.