586,299 active members*
3,818 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > CNC Wood Router Project Log > Bit Selection for a New machine build (Help picking bits for getting started)

Bit Selection for a New machine build (Help picking bits for getting started)

I'm in the process of building up a new CNC router / mill table. The machine is a small table top version.

It will have a Porter cable router 1-2 HP router with a 1/4 shank. I'm going to be doing sign carving in Wood, And Plexi / PVC. I want to do some light milling in aluminum. I would also like to have a bit for cutting in foam (egg crate) style for making custom inlay tool holders.

So I'm looking for the top 10-12 bits to get started with working with these three materials.

I know that I want a v-bit for signs, some straight flutes, some engraving bits for the plastic and aluminum. I will need some bits for
    leveling the wood and aluminum materials.

I would like some advice on the style of bits to get to put together a starter pack of bits that will take care of these items and get me down the road a ways. I don't want cheap bits I want some nice carbide bits that will last.

Thanks!
    Desert Fabworks LLC -Fort Mohave, Arizona
    www.desertfabworks.com - Project Sites: www.cncplasmabuild.com - www.cncrouterbuild.com

That's like buying gallons of gasoline, hoping some day to actually have a car ??
    There is a lot of difference in cutters for those types of materials, and one golden rule! Never use a cutter on plastic after they have been used on anything else! Plastics requires a NEW keen edge!

Now, the best V-Bits are made by Kempston, and are available on Amazon.com
    Regular 2-flute up-spiral end mill are available from Enco - Guaranteed Lowest Prices on Machinery, Tools and Shop Supplies for a good price. They also sell the Osrund down-spiral bits for wood.
    www.widgitmaster.com
    It's not what you take away, it's what you are left with that counts!

I dont get the line "That's like buying gallons of gasoline, hoping some day to actually have a car ??" I'm building a CNC Router / Mill so I have the "CAR" I have plenty of wood, aluminum, and plastic to cut so I'm just looking for a little advice on the spark to make it happen. I know I'm going to cut those materials in the next few months when I get the build done. I'm not looking for 50 bits I'm looking for about 12 go to bits that would cover those materials. I'm looking for a starting point. I was hoping to get responses like:

Get a upcut carbide bit like 51404 for plastic and get a 60 degree v bit for wood signs. The bits would of course be kept to the material they were intended and not mixed.
    www.desertfabworks.com - Project Sites: www.cncplasmabuild.com - www.cncrouterbuild.com

Single flute "O" flute for plastics. They actually make different geometries for hard and soft plastics. These can also work well for aluminum.

2 flute downcut spirals for wood.

These are popular for V carving, but I've never used on myself. Amazon.com: CMT 858.001.11 60° Laser Point Bit, 1/4-Inch Shank, 1/2-Inch Diameter, Carbide-Tipped: Home Improvement
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Search ebay for a seller named drillman1. He's got great prices. Get 1/4", 1/8", and 1/16" straight, 60 degree, ball end,, and 90 degree bits. I'd start with at least 2 each of the 1/8 and 1/16" bits since they're cheap and see what you like. The 1/4" bits cost more but you'll use them for roughing since they move a lot of wood very quickly. Get one each to start.

Quote Originally Posted by kuroguy View Post
    Search ebay for a seller named drillman1. He's got great prices. Get 1/4", 1/8", and 1/16" straight, 60 degree, ball end,, and 90 degree bits. I'd start with at least 2 each of the 1/8 and 1/16" bits since they're cheap and see what you like. The 1/4" bits cost more but you'll use them for roughing since they move a lot of wood very quickly. Get one each to start.
    I've bought a lot of bits from him and liked them all EXCEPT his engraving bits. They tend to break their tips in everything I cut with them. Corian, acrylic, MDF, and aluminum. Thought I was doing something wrong until I bought some cheap ( $14 per 10 ) Chinese bits off ebay. I have used them on all the materials listed with good results.

For larger V bits I like the Whiteside bits, can't beat the price.

I checked out Drillman1 on ebay he has lots to choose from. Little overwhelming. Any recommendations for a couple style of bits for these areas:

Making signs out of plexi
    Signs in wood (v-carve 60 degree) and?
    Some light mill work for making parts / engraving in aluminum

Whiteside 60 degree v groove bits

Whiteside Router Bits from Woodworkersworld.net--V groove router bit

Have used these on aluminum with good success also the 0 helix which I can't find

1 16" 0625" 2 Flute Carbide Endmills New Kyocera Tycom | eBay

I've used these on plexi, alum, mdf and corian. they come in .2mm and ,1mm tips and are cheap enough that you don't cry when you break one

10 x Carbide PCB Engraving CNC Bit Router 45 Deg 0 2mm | eBay

Attachment 193954

Attachment 193956

Attachment 193958

Attachment 193960

All these were taken with a phone camera so not that great of pictures.

IMHO if your just starting out in CNC going out and buying high $$$$ bits doesn't make sense. All these bits I listed have done well for me and I'm hard on them because of what I do with them.

I do all this on a very cheaply built router also.

"Kennl" Those are some nice projects you have there. Thanks for the info everyone. Hope to be cutting soon.

I started a thread a while back, which is stickied in the main section, that can help you decide what you need. There are also pictures, paramters, and video links. Also check out my build threads for some of the projects I've done...