586,119 active members*
3,655 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Version 23 probs, Should I upgrade to 25?

Version 23 probs, Should I upgrade to 25?

Hey there, As of late, I have really been doing more and more 3d work

My question is, Im currently running 23, Zlevel rough, Im having probs
    with the cutter running though the shapes and gouging them in places
    that is not acceptable

Of course BobCad phone center is always calling, at least once a week
    to upgrade, I see the number on caller ID and usually dont answer the
    phone.

But I guess Im faced with either upgrading or moving on to another
    software package

My question, Im 2 versions behind, I have 23 pretty much mastered
    as far as operating it, Im a one man shop, I really dont have much
    time to learn new software, but I dont suppose it would take me
    long to learn the new version. To be honest, It usually performs well
    even with complicated customer supplied solid files..usually STP

Im working on a part today doing some aluminum 3d profiling,
    Usually I can fix the issue by making small changes in how much
    stock to remove, resolution in the mill settings, Or small changes
    in end mill diameter.

This one today, I fiddled with it all day yesterday, and im having the same
    probs today, Once it finishes this latest attempt and in sure it will gouge again
    I will do a screen shot save, and maybe the experts here have ideas

Its really getting frustrating and Im really running behind on this job

Thanks in advance

One other question, 23 version, I seem to recall I had to keep
    going back to BobCad and adding functions like equaldistant

Am I going to have to add multiple accessories until the software work the way I need?

Waynno
    Visit our face book page, search on FaceBook; High-Desert-Precision-CNC-Machining-Nosalas-Hobby-Shop

Well 1st off I will tell you that for the 3 axis mill work I do and 2D,V23 can do everything I ever needed to.I still use it even though I have V25.Why ?,couple reasons,I use manual tools instead of a tool library.V23 is way better for that.Simple jobs are just flat faster to program in V23.There is less things to set-up and things to make decisions about.Another huge reason for V23,is I have the High Speed Pocketing option that was an add-on,that they no longer offer from that company.In all fairness,BoB has another HSP for V25,but on the the 2D stuff,I like the one in V23 betterNow I am not talking that V25 takes that much longer it boils down to the nature of the work you do.I happen to do mostly onesy,twosy,simple 2D work.I also supplement my CNC with manual lathe and manual mills.In other words,I use what ever gets the job out the door the quickest.Sometimes I use a combination of machines.I am not married to the CNC Mill.So in my case,for the work I do,the honest answer is V23 would still be just fine for me.

Now you are starting to do more and more 3D work you say?The answer is absolutely go with V25.The Cad has not to much difference,but the Cam is a World apart from V23.V25 also will be better with 2D,but V23 will do just fine.Overall,Yes V25 is better in a lot of ways.The Simulation is way better too.
    Do your self a favor and Demo it first.Do it when you have time to really play with it.

I am still glad I upgraded to V25,So yes I would go for it.

If you would like help with the Z-Level,just upload the file and the Forum can have a look.Sure we can get it to stop destroying your parts,

I just re-read your post,and you say you working with customer supplied files of solids.V25,you will like much better of how you can place them and create stock and origins and such.Big Plus here.

Much thanks, That is definitely a positive answer I was looking for

to be honest, Im am still using 21 as well for the same reasons,
    For just drilling holes and simple mill work, 21 still works fine

And also, I have the option to do a quick copy clip from preditor
    to 21s editor side and drip feed or just quickly run a program
    to the mill in a simple fashion. So our needs are similar.

This 3d thing can be frustrating, Just dure to the fact
    I can do 10 jobs with very complex shapes, and one
    like the one fiddling with today, Is fighting me like crazy

Thanks for the response, Im still running the simulation,
    if it does it again, and I suspect it will, I will post a pic
    of the prob

Waynno
    Visit our face book page, search on FaceBook; High-Desert-Precision-CNC-Machining-Nosalas-Hobby-Shop

.zip a .bbcd file if you can.

Well, as luck would have it, I got it to work, I will post results anyway

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Waynno View Post
    Well, as luck would have it, I got it to work, I will post results anyway

Thanks
    Nah,not luck,,just getting more experience.I never will learn all this stuff.Great,make some chips.

Well here is the positive result the part on the right just came off the machine, Not de-burred or touched up yet, The left one is a similar body, Its done, The countur is not too complicated. I have handled much more intricate parts than this, I dont for the life of me know why it fought me so much

One possible reason if you could see how I layed out the boundary, on the lower part of the angled round hub, I had to do an elliptical shaped boundary, This darn software likes to automaticly round sharp corners, I wish that feature could be turned off, cause it rounds off stuff something ya dont want to be rounded, Thats why the edge is sharp

Also Predator animated simulation, With out it, I would be sitting on about 5 scrap parts, its a great product
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Part.jpg   Part sim.jpg  

The change from V21 to V23 is HUGE compared to V23 to V25. For 23-25 it is a slight bit different, but very easy to get used to. Given all the new toolpath options you get, I suspect you will benefit a lot from an upgrade. Make sure you drive for a good deal, the price is VERY flexible as always. As mentioned, the new Advanced Roughing option is an HSP-like toolpath generation, and may benefit you in machining time a good bit... You should ABSOLUTELY at least do the demo and check it out. If you do want to upgrade, I would wait for a call from BC rather than calling them, and then "play hardball" to get the price down. The worst that can happen is you don't buy then, and buy later. The best that can happen is you get a deal way better than you ever thought you could...
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

Understood about the price haggling, Been playing the game since version 16

They practically gave me 23 because I wasted so much time and $$ on 22

I will pick up on my terms

thanks for the response

Waynno

Nice Waynno,how do you finish it up ?Here is a fitting I made using a combination of CNC Mill and manual machines.A one off for a race car.I've done quite a few different ones before.What's that one for ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 036.jpg  

Thats pretty nice, I been making aircraft type parts most of my life

This is were I started this one, I really cant get into any more of what this does due to disclosure
    issues, But I have my own odd way of doing certain things

Here is the same part on the lathe, The port and bores have really tight tolerances

My next plan is to purchase a 4th axis for one of my Fadals, Im hoping by the end of august
    I have one lined up, Just have to pop out a few jobs to get the darn thing

Our shop is located on the same property as I reside, Im just coming up
    on 50 years old, I think I have a few years left in me, and I can just cruise
    the rest of my life, Here is the part a couple of days ago on the lathe,
    second pic is our 5 acre piece of paradise in the dezert

Got a real nice tropical thunder storm today, enjoying life away from the big city
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fixture.jpg   Wayne 5 acreRS.jpg  

Do a lot of race car and race boat parts.Sometimes because of space limitations or just they just cannot find the right fitting,I get some unique jobs.Nice work.

""Im just coming up
    on 50 years old,""

ha,ha,,,I am a couple ahead of you.I better have a few left.Retirement not going to pay well.

We are a tad in a remote area, I have a couple of customers order those kind of AN
    fittings because I can make them in a few hours as opposed to ordering them
    from a distributor, I can do them same day or over night. Ya we can buy them
    from summit or wherever, but sometimes they need them now. No wonder
    im in the shop at 9pm Saturday night workin ay?

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    ""Im just coming up
    on 50 years old,""

ha,ha,,,I am a couple ahead of you.I better have a few left.Retirement not going to pay well.
    Yep, Thats a fair statement, but If I can pay everything off, Im only doing enough to put food
    on the table and gas for the dune buggy

Edit Ammo, and a few other hobbies

Re: Version 23 probs, Should I upgrade to 25?

Quote Originally Posted by Waynno View Post
    We are a tad in a remote area, I have a couple of customers order those kind of AN
    fittings because I can make them in a few hours as opposed to ordering them
    from a distributor, I can do them same day or over night. Ya we can buy them
    from summit or wherever, but sometimes they need them now. No wonder
    im in the shop at 9pm Saturday night workin ay?
    I Can't get the thread mill/spirel mill generate the Z's. I have tried with and without 3D on and no luck My machine has a caned cycle that will work on something's but I would like to thread mill pipe thread and other spirle boring operations I have V19,V21&I Think V23 that is loaded on my present PC any advice????!@$%^#!& Kevin