586,033 active members*
2,894 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

DHC2 Parallel Port Pinouts

Does anybody know what pins control which functions (step and direction) on DHC2 controllers? Not sure if there are different variants or not but I am hoping they would be standard throughout. I'm trying to get my schools PlasmaCAM running with Mach 3.

Cheers,

Wait!

Why would you want to run mach 3 on a plasmacam? Mach three is a complete disaster compared to even the rudimentary versions of plasma cam's (even the software built in 1998). I think most of us got the plasmacam because of its better software. In all honesty mach 3 is such a headache, that it would be a travesty to run that anywhere near a plasmacam.

Even if you have their older machine without Designedge, plasmacam still supports their previous software platforms and you can even get a replacement software disc if you need it (for only $10). The latest version of the old platform is version 3.11. The latest software that rolls out on the new machines is called Makes sure that you at least have that going on before your try to run something ridiculous like mach 3 on the machine.

In terms of Plasmacam for steel I have no problems. It is the fact that the older software can't handle 3D movement that is the problem. I would like to use the machine to engrave jobs and do some basic 3D cutting which is unsupported. I own a copy of Mach 3 for my Scratch built cnc at home and don't find it too hard to use and would rather try it than waste 2 grand on newer software.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

Seeing as the plasmacam controller closes the servo loops outside of the servo amps (which is why the cursor on the screen moves when you manually move the machine around, by hand) I doubt its possible to run any software besides what the controller is designed for.

Mach3 would need new servo drivers and break out board, power supply, stepper driver etc. at minimum.

Sent from tapatalk

Now that I think about it, I don't think that you could pay me 2k to go with any system that is controlled by Mach 3. I have been down that road before and never would care to go back. In terms of metal cutting programs integrated into a design program and especially if you are trying to make money with your machine, upgrading your older machine to plasmacams designedge is completely worth it. I find it rather nice that plasmacam offers options for older machines as the new technology comes out, while still supporting their older systems no matter when you purchased it. The upgrades are worth it. The folks that I know that have got it on their older machines say that it has been a dream come true! They also have a money back guarantee....how could you go wrong by just trying it? The worst that can happen is that you get your money back if you don't like it.

Richard

Thanks Dylwad.

Not sure why you are so persistent Richard. As I have said it is a school machine so trying to raise that much money for it to do basically what it does now plus a little more would be stupid. I already own a copy of Mach 3 and have had no problems running it so if I could have used it with the machine then it would have been a simple and free solution.

C-flat there are a couple of videos on YouTube concerning mach 3 and plasmacam.

C-flat there are a couple of videos on YouTube concerning mach 3 and plasmacam.

Hi!
    Did you get some info about the ports&pins on Plasmacam control box?
    I have Go Torch and basic software,which is included control only for X and Y ,nothing else!
    No Z or THC ,no settings,nothing!
    Please if you have some info -let me know!
    Regards