586,043 active members*
3,747 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Choose my setup for steppers.

Choose my setup for steppers.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Nema 23 380oz 4 axis setup at cncrouterparts.

This is the build thread, pics on page 2 and 3.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176267

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/30/tehe6yse.jpg

Steel build about 50% done. 1605 rolled ballscrews 20mm SBR rails. Looking to cut hardwoods and aluminum fairly well. Let me know what you would use.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Nipels View Post
    Right now I'm leaning towards the Nema 23 380oz 4 axis setup at cncrouterparts.
    Those motors are selected to work with cncrouterparts linear drive solutions. CNCRouterparts sell rack'n'pinion and 5-start screws, both of which are much faster than your screws.

If i'm not mistaken those 1605 screws are 5mm pitch, single start = 5mm/revolution. This is the realm of smaller faster motors.

You could use those motors, if you ran them at 70V and 2.5A they would even work quite nicely. But more sensible would be smaller motors ie 1.2mH-2.0mH, then you could run them full speed on lower voltage drivers like Gecko g540.

Quote Originally Posted by MooseCat View Post
    Those motors are selected to work with cncrouterparts linear drive solutions. CNCRouterparts sell rack'n'pinion and 5-start screws, both of which are much faster than your screws.

If i'm not mistaken those 1605 screws are 5mm pitch, single start = 5mm/revolution. This is the realm of smaller faster motors.

You could use those motors, if you ran them at 70V and 2.5A they would even work quite nicely. But more sensible would be smaller motors ie 1.2mH-2.0mH, then you could run them full speed on lower voltage drivers like Gecko g540.
    So where would you get these motors?

The cncrouterparts come with g540 and an option for 320oz low inductance steppers.

So where would you get these motors?

The cncrouterparts come with g540 and an option for 320oz low inductance steppers.

I have been reading a lot about steppers but would like an expert to look at my future setup and tell me what they would use. Looking at 600-700$ for the electronics.

Stepper motors are commonly available on eBay or from mfgr outlets or (if you want to save money at the cost of time) can be pulled from old office equipment and printers. This list documents some good sources:
    techref.massmind.org/techref/io/stepper/linistep/motors.htm

As long as the motors aren't 5 wire, you can always drive them bi-polar, and actually, unipolar isn't that bad where you want speed. This page offers a fair comparison of the different methods and the advantages and disadvantages of each:
    techref.massmind.org/techref/io/stepper/connections.htm

If you can find motors locally, avoiding the shipping cost is good, as steppers are heavy.

The G540 is a fantastic driver. If you want to save some money, and you don't mind building a kit, the THB6064 driver is also pretty darn good (yes, I'm biased) and less than half the price:
    techref.massmind.org/techref/io/stepper/THB6064/index.htm
    James hosts the single best wiki page about steppers for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/steppers.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

O
    Quote Originally Posted by James Newton View Post
    Stepper motors are commonly available on eBay or from mfgr outlets or (if you want to save money at the cost of time) can be pulled from old office equipment and printers. This list documents some good sources:
    techref.massmind.org/techref/io/stepper/linistep/motors.htm

As long as the motors aren't 5 wire, you can always drive them bi-polar, and actually, unipolar isn't that bad where you want speed. This page offers a fair comparison of the different methods and the advantages and disadvantages of each:
    techref.massmind.org/techref/io/stepper/connections.htm

If you can find motors locally, avoiding the shipping cost is good, as steppers are heavy.

The G540 is a fantastic driver. If you want to save some money, and you don't mind building a kit, the THB6064 driver is also pretty darn good (yes, I'm biased) and less than half the price:
    techref.massmind.org/techref/io/stepper/THB6064/index.htm
    Good info, thanks. I probably want to go with a bipolar parallel setup. G540 is the controller I'm getting. What about steppers, power supply?

On second thought unipolar 32v 2a had pretty quick rapids. I don't know!!!

I need someone who does know to tell me! What would you use for a machine this size with my screws and a g540? Pretend it is yours.

Anyone?

You might get slightly higher speeds with slightly lower torque motors, provided they have a similar current rating and lower inductance.
    With your 5mm pitch screws, you need very high rpm to get high speeds.
    If it was my machine, I'd use a belt drive to double my screw speed (1:2), and go with the 380 oz steppers. (or switch to 1610 screws)

This will give you much better speeds.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    You might get slightly higher speeds with slightly lower torque motors, provided they have a similar current rating and lower inductance.
    With your 5mm pitch screws, you need very high rpm to get high speeds.
    If it was my machine, I'd use a belt drive to double my screw speed (1:2), and go with the 380 oz steppers. (or switch to 1610 screws)

This will give you much better speeds.
    Racking wouldn't be a problem? Resolution?