586,094 active members*
3,649 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Tool change alignment on MC V4020

Tool change alignment on MC V4020

Operator has an issue with the tool changer arm. One side is nice and quiet and the other side of the arm is noisy when putting the tool in the spindle as if it is not aligned correctly. Have not had to adjust this before. Any suggestions please.

Check for a bent ATC "claw" on the end, or bent ATC arm. Usually it's either noisy on both sides, or nice on both sides.

You may also want to check the "claw" spring mechanism. They are notorious for clogging up and failing to work properly. Pull the cross pins, remove the gripper and spring, clean thoroughly, and re-lubricate. They should not stick at all. This may also cause dropped tools if not working properly. If that looks good, there are alignment procedures for the machine , but they vary depending on your control...and verifying that the arm is not bent.

Best regards,

My alignment was off too. Coolant was spraying on the arm and leaking into the plunger bore. This caused the plungers to hydraulic lock and the arm slipped back. I only noticed it when the tool tapers started to show scuffs. I investigated and found the alignment problem. It was easy to fix. Loosen the bolts under the arm and move the arm back. I also removed the plungers and cleaned out the coolant goop. I changed my CAM post so the coolant turns on about an inch above the part and I havent had the problem again.