586,096 active members*
3,741 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Lathes > HAAS ST-20 Z Axis Travel Limit

HAAS ST-20 Z Axis Travel Limit

Just wanted to post a warning and rant to anyone looking at getting one of these lathes. We got one with a standard bolt on style turret, and when you bolt in a standard 1" tool, guess what? You can't reach the chuck to even face the jaws let alone cut them. I looked for bolt on tool blocks to extend the tool out, and the Rovi blocks run about $700 bucks each, times how many you need. If I would have known this issue I would have opted for the VDI turret or something, it's pretty stupid. I have to mount my WNMG tool sideways to reach and it works OK but it doesn't handle as deep of cuts as I could take normally, but profiling with a neutral holder? Out of the question unless I use 3 or four inch jaws, and hold the part way further out than I would normally. I am still amazed at how ridiculous the engineering on these things is. We have a ten year old Doosan that runs circles around this thing, tool change is painfully slow and all the safety features they add on seriously detract from functionality, such as the chip auger cover that snags chips and causes a build-up that needs to be manually cleared, I modify all the interlocks to subvert them, but of course I'm sure if there is ever a warranty claim they will ***** about it. Not impressed.:violin:

Next, you'll be complaining about the position of the window and the lighting.... Or the time it takes for the bar feeder to cycle....

Post up a couple of pics showing the problem. I have a new ST20, and my guys have never complained about the travels being insufficient. I'm curious the see what is going on with your machine.

Always the same, gets challenged for additional info and that's the end of the conversation. Just another basher.
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Why would I waste my time posting BS, I didn't realize anyone posted a reply. Here are a couple pics I took to send to the HAAS tech when I thought maybe there was a parameter that was off, I could just skim the face of 2" jaws with the tool bolted into the turret the normal way.Attachment 194944Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HAAS ST20 TURRET.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	194946

What you are experiencing is not normal. X limit switch/parameter etc is wayyyy off. Get a tech to fix that ASAP!

I sent these pics to the HFO tech here in Phoenix and he said that's the limit, I looked at behind the sheet metal at the ball screw and limits and it doesn't look like it can go any more. I think they f'd up building it and there are different parts on it or something. I did find one other post on here about someone having this issue on another HAAS lathe, but if the consensus is that this is definitely not right then I will definitely insist they send someone to look at it. The issue with that is going to be the guy I sent these pics to is the same guy who will probably come out. It is traveling the distance in the Z axis that is advertised for the machine, but I have never seen a lathe that stops so far short of the chuck.

Quote Originally Posted by LUX93 View Post
    I sent these pics to the HFO tech here in Phoenix and he said that's the limit, I looked at behind the sheet metal at the ball screw and limits and it doesn't look like it can go any more. I think they f'd up building it and there are different parts on it or something. I did find one other post on here about someone having this issue on another HAAS lathe, but if the consensus is that this is definitely not right then I will definitely insist they send someone to look at it. The issue with that is going to be the guy I sent these pics to is the same guy who will probably come out. It is traveling the distance in the Z axis that is advertised for the machine, but I have never seen a lathe that stops so far short of the chuck.
    Call the factory (don't email) and talk to them about what is normal travels for your machine and what/where you should be able to reach. Have your serial number handy when you call.

Be sure to report back what you find out.

Happy to supply the grease to the wheel!

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

I will post some pics of my lathe so you can see what " normal" looks like. Something is definitely screwed up with yours.

Ok, so I called HAAS directly, and they connected me to applications to see if what I was trying to do was possible, cut a step in some jaws to ID chuck and turn the diameter of a part, so I talked to the guy, sent him a copy of the machines parameter file and settings file along with the photos I posted here and the response was ' the parameters look good, you should be 1.15" ±0.100" away from the face of the chuck with the tip of tool.' I am actually about 1.450 from the face when I measure it. Here is another pic of the neutral VNMG tool I need to use to profile this part. It blows because I have to use these ridiculous 4" jaws and cutting them is more of a chore now, not to mention I was planning on using the same type of jaws as the other lathes in order to keep inventory down. Now I not only have to get a bunch of tall steel jaws but all the pie jaws I need to get is adding up, and creating new programs to cut all the jaws. I would recommended anyone who is looking at this machine find out not just Z axis travel, which on this one I get 21.200, but if the tool can reach the chuck or not. I wish we would have opted for the VDI turret now since I would get a couple more inches with the tool and not have to play this game.
    Attachment 195066

@fizzissist, I guess in my case since I'll have my part sticking so far out the window ends up almost being in the right place!

Home your machine in x, zero the control, run x to the limits of the travel in the minus direction and tell us what that number is....

X Travel is 19.200

Quote Originally Posted by LUX93 View Post
    X Travel is 19.200
    Excuse me, but weren't we talking "Z" here?

Mike

One of my earlier posts noted the Z travel of 21.200

Where I work we have five ST-20's. None of them will reach the face of the chuck with an O.D. turning tool mounted normally. I would have to go down and measure to compare to your numbers but it's the same problem here. Stops short of the chuck by about 1.5". It's quite annoying.

Parameter number 34 restricts the movement in the Z-axis negative direction.
    Perhaps if you change this parameter you will get additional movement.
    Be careful not to let the mechanical breakdowns.

not as big of issue here. but i can get fairly close to the chuck. 1.15 from the chuck face. 26.00 in z from zero position. and yes vdi turret.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131008_082313.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	203824