586,926 active members*
2,707 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Gotta watch those videos, Insanely fast CNC
Page 1 of 3 123

Hybrid View

Talking Gotta watch those videos, Insanely fast CNC

Hey guys,

watch those videos, it's really awesome in perticular if your not used to seeing real CNCs in action;

http://www.centroidcnc.com/video_catalog.html

Try the pawn cutting and the thread cutting on lathe,
    speed is incredible.

Video's are really worth watching. Brings back some memories of CNC troubleshooting and field service for me.

It is really facinating to watch the machines work. Even harder to troubleshoot and repair especially when the problem is wear in the machine.

Jerry

Check this machine out:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...703770&q=lathe

I've seen the video 10 times, and it still blows my mind. I'm a machinist in the aerospace industry and I thought that I've seen and done some cool things until this came along!

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by js11110
    Check this machine out:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...703770&q=lathe

I've seen the video 10 times, and it still blows my mind. I'm a machinist in the aerospace industry and I thought that I've seen and done some cool things until this came along!

Jason
    How the hell do you program that thing!?! (chair)
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Check Out My Build-Log: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6452

Quote Originally Posted by JavaDog
    How the hell do you program that thing!?! (chair)
    We have one of those at work. To answer your question. Yes Bowman, Very carefully

There is a three column program stack for three axes. They are independantly working together at the same time.
    Wayne Hill

Sometimes we forget just how fast "real CNC" is.
    THe mills and lathes at my work are getting 1500IPM. How nice it would be to have that on my router!
    Of course, I would need to borrow those 4HP servos

Very Carefully!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Bowman
    Very Carefully!

Hell yeah,
    If you ruin this machine, I don't think your boss will like that. (chair)
    You'll either get fired or take a beating :boxing: (or both)

heck he would probably buy you some new shoes of the concrete varity and kill you dump the body.
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

Well, I've been able to figure out two things.

I would not want to have the job of programming the machine OR being the FIELD SERVICE tech. It would most likely require several networked computers or PLC's to perform all the functions. Probably a computer on each axis.

Jerry

Way cool. Will be great in about 15 years when I can buy one of these on ebay for my garage (you can plug it into a normal household power right
    Regards,
    Mark

Thats an awesome one, heres another good one for ya

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...q=tool+changer

How the hell do you program that thing!?!
    With "Windows Based Programming Software", Fanuc Control. Also you program your feeds very/very slow on first part, when it runs good crank up the feed!

Information: ( from http://www.remsales.com )

Reduced learning curve
    Little or no programmer training required
    Safe, good programs from onset
    Fill in the blanks programming
    Speed/feed database resident
    Simultaneous front/back machining support
    Tooling database resident Pentium based system with 800x600 display and 50Meg HD space required.

Check out this other vid. (same google page) Download it, and watch in slo/mo on media player. (To keep up with it)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...76222492953620

I own a cnc machine shop, got 3 lathes, 2 machining centers and various manual machines. I do contract work in most sectors of the engineering trade, aerospace, motorsport, hydraulics, patternmaking etc. Swiss type machines are great for running off batches of thousands. If you have never seen one in action, I recommend going to a show or exhibition for a closer look as the videos dont really do them justice. I would love a couple of those babies but I cant afford them (yet!).

Off topic, I'm curious to know how many programmers on here actually program at the panel or use a pc based system. I only really use the PC for machining complex forms.

Wow, those are some machines!

Now, back in the real world , the downside to that wonderful automation, is that your customer expects you to make parts for next to nothing apiece....kind of steals the fun out of it, I suspect. I have to admire the whole team effort required to make so many of today's products containing precision parts, quite affordable.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hu has it correct; I can't imagine how many people and how long it would take to program one of those things but I think the fun would be missing because each person would probably only handle a small part of the program. It is more fun doing something small enough to handle alone but complex enough to be a challenge. Problem unless you are making and selling your own product all your ingenuity gets you is a lot of work at a lower cost than anyone else charges for it so you work harder to make less money.

the fun is what you can buy when the money rolls in on the proper long term job , its all money that thing is spitting out , 5 bucks , 5 bucks , 5 bucks , 5 bucks , 5 bucks , 5 bucks , 5 bucks , 5 bucks , 5 bucks ,

or alternately:

5 bucks , 5 bucks , 5 bucks , 5 bucks , 5 bucks ?I wonder what this button does?....CRASH -10k

ITs that employee equation again

just don't let anyone but you touch it! (ITs MINE AL MINE, MINE, MINE, MINE)
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

can someone explain in simple terms how do those chucks work? where material is spat out/pulled in instead of the tool traveling along the ways/X axis.

Quote Originally Posted by posix
    can someone explain in simple terms how do those chucks work? where material is spat out/pulled in instead of the tool traveling along the ways/X axis.
    I was wondering the same thing, plus....while the rod slides in and out, how does it maintain tolerances. what holds it centered?

Page 1 of 3 123