586,510 active members*
2,733 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > Acramatic 950 info please

Acramatic 950 info please

Our shop has a Cincinnati Milacron T10 HMC with an Acramatic 950 control. I am in the process of learning some of the quirks and peculiarities of the machine.

I'd like to figure out a way to get a backup image of the HDD.

I'd like to figure out how to enable the rigid tapping option.

I've read there's a service switch that I may need to become familiar with but I don't know where in the cabinet it lives.

There are also various service passwords that seem to be important.

I've read there may be a way to convert to a more modern IDE (or even SSD type) drive.

If anyone can spare a few minutes and share any info or links to info about this or related items, I'd definitely appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
    Jay

*bump*

Any thoughts? Anyone?

Here is some more information
    I talked to a very knowledgeable rep at Siemens about options for replacement/upgrade. He said that I could buy an upgrade kit that had either an IDE hard drive or an IDE based flash drive. Part numbers 3-424-2284A0x with the x being a revision number. He mentioned that it would need to have the toolbox loaded and they could do that for a fee or I could do it when I had the drive in hand. I have a few questions relating to this.

1. How would I load the toolbox? My machine has a 3.5" floppy which can't be used for loading part programs so I assume it must be for loading the system SW (possibly the toolbox).

2. Where would I get the toolbox to load it? I don't believe I have any discs of system SW for the machine.

3. What else would I need to load besides the tool box and where would I get that software?

4. How do I go about backing up the existing [tool info, offsets, programs, parameters, settings, software, etc]?

I would also like to figure out how to enable rigid tapping and possibly the additional work offsets that I know this control is capable of handling.

The tech mentioned that the later versions of this control were able to load part programs from the floppy. What would I need to update (HW, SW, or both) to
    make this happen?

Justin

The Cinci software must come from MAG, I think that the tool box is Cinci SW. Logicube MD5 will backup a HD, some say Norton Ghost works, I have had no luck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ifixcnc View Post
    The Cinci software must come from MAG, I think that the tool box is Cinci SW. Logicube MD5 will backup a HD, some say Norton Ghost works, I have had no luck with it.
    I am quite familiar with Ghost and dd and other backup methods for PCs. The problem with that is the drive in the machine is an old Winchester/MFM drive. I don't have any way to read that in a PC and I'm pretty sure that you can't just plug it into a different MFM controller because it won't read.

I wonder if anyone here has the toolbox SW. I mean, the tech did say I could load it on my own which would mean I'd have to have it from somewhere.

Justin

You can go to standard IDE if you change the WFI board from a 3 to a 4. That Winchester/MFM drive is not worth the trouble. The software you seek needs to be specific to your machine, not just anyones SW.

You can go to standard IDE if you change the WFI board from a 3 to a 4. That Winchester/MFM drive is not worth the trouble. The software you seek needs to be specific to your machine, not just anyones SW.
    Would this also allow me to load part programs with the floppy and possibly upgrade to a standard 1.44MB floppy drive? If so this would really be worth the upgrade.

Justin

WFI4 boards show up on Ebay for not much money, I have 6 950s and one had that MFM hard drive, Mag wants over 3000 for a replacement. I put the WFI4 in, and it worked with standard IDE drive no problem. I cant speak to the floppy compatablity, as I dont know.

Do you happen to know the part number for the non-retrofit version of the IDE drive? I know the retrofit version is 3-424-2284A0x but I believe there should be a part number for a control that came with the WFI which was capable of handling IDE. If you happened to have the part number for the upgraded WFI board, that could possibly be helpful too.

Justin

I just checked and the WFI board says Rev. C. I'm assuming that's a version 3 board.

My WFI boards have a 3 or 4 right behind WFI. My WFI4 is part # 3-542-1190a
    Hard drive is 3-424-2190a02 it has an date of 2000 on it, I assume it is a replacement drive as this machine is a 1993.

My WFI boards have a 3 or 4 right behind WFI. My WFI4 is part # 3-542-1190a
    Hard drive is 3-424-2190a02 it has an date of 2000 on it, I assume it is a replacement drive as this machine is a 1993.
    I agree that the WFI4 part number should be 3-542-1190A. This is what I found on the Siemens part listing as well. I believe you need to have a minimum version of the software in order for the board to be recognized. Their parts list says "MC R2m8/R3m5, TC 2.1m5, STB 5.0m0" Which I believe translates to:

If you have a 950MC (milling?) then you need Release 2, Mod 8 or Release 3,Mod 5
    If you have a 950TC (turning?) then you need Release 2.1, Mod 5
    If you have a 905STB (?) then you need 5.0, Mod 0

I am going to ask the technician to verify this for me. The WFI3 says it added support for 1.44M Floppy and then the WFI4 says it added support for IDE drives.

Justin