586,036 active members*
3,576 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > UG NX > Ramp toolpasth/Lead in-lead out (engage) question

Ramp toolpasth/Lead in-lead out (engage) question

Hello
    I'm new to NX but experienced with Mastercam. I have a part that is shaped like a picture frame and I'd like to cut out the center material. I don't want to waste time hogging out all the material, I just want to bolt the center material to a fixture and cut it out. In matercam I would use a ramp toolpath that just ramps down into the material at a given increment each pass. If that type of toolpath doesn't exist in NX, I could just do depth passes but I'd want to ramp into the material with a lead in. Can someone give me some direction? I've tried Solid_Profile, ZLevel_Profile, Planar_Profile, and Planer_Mill. I think I got closest with planer_profile.

here is a video of what I'm trying to explain.
    ramp example - YouTube

I also attached a pic of what I have in NX

Thanks in advance

Ramping cut

This can be done in NX with Planar Milling. Create the boundary at the top of the part and the floor at the bottom. Set the cut pattern to follow periphery and make the stepover extremly large so you only get 1 profile pass. Set the non-cutting engage type to Ramp on Shape and set a shallow ramp angle. You may need to modify the minimum clearance but this should get you started.

See the attached file
    John Joyce -NC Programming Supervisor
    Barnes Aerospace, Windsor CT

You could also use a Fixed Contour op., use Surface Area drive method, select the inside wall surfaces, select Helical as the Cut Pattern, set Stepover to Scallop, and Vertical Limit to the preferred Depth per pass.