I have build many GeckoDrive 2,3,4,5,6 and 8 axis systems in the past. Over 4 axis generally requires a second parallel port. I recently pick up a 4th and 5th axis stepper drive mechanism and decided to build a control box for it using the G540 plus an additional driver for the 5th axis. The steppers on the 4/5th axis are 3.5A motors. The trick was how to use only one parallel port since the G540 isn't set up to easily add a 5th axis. Here is a video of the control box running 5 3.5A steppers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0fIOIaasY8
The control box is designed to allow the user to attach wires for various inputs and for a VDF. There is a powered receptacle that can handle a motor to 700 watts. The front panel have a lighted on off switch, and ESTOP switch anda output engage/disengage switch. The rear panel has a fused IEC power entry module, a 3 pront receptacle , the G540 and a db9 connector that is set up with piuns1 and 5 for I-set and pins 6-9 for the standard G540 motor pin out. The power supply can either be a 48V or a 36V. Runs great. [email protected] or see my web page at Camtronics, inc. -- CNC with Dan Mauch .

Dan Mauch