586,102 active members*
2,527 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Using 80/20 linear bearings in a 36x48 laser cutter

I'm not new to either CNC (I have two handmade CNC routers with at least 500 hours of cutting time on them) or Laser cutting/engraving, I have a couple Epilog Lasers, a Legend EX and a EX32.

I need to cut out some larger 1/4 to 1/2 thick acrylic parts where I need a high degree of accuracy. The EX32 is almost big enough, but the laser beam is not perpendicular to the table, its like 83 degrees and not a perfect 90. And after spending hours with Eplilog support and alignment tools the EX32 just not up to the job. Works great for what it was intended to do, but not this.

I've been thinking of just building my own 80 watt machine using 80/20 components. I see they have linear slides that work right with the components but I worry about the accuracy vs traditional linear bearings. Anybody have experience with them?

I think the slides would be a bit sticky....I seem to recall they are just Teflon or UHMW plastic pads that ride in the slots on the 8020.

Regular linear rails and carriages are cheap enough. How are you going to drive the focusing lens and X axis? belts? You would need to build a fairly big, rigid frame, and then a way to raise and lower the workpiece.

Maybe one of the bigger Chinese lasers would be a better plan...you could hack in the tube from your Epilog if the Chinese tube craps out.

I cut parts with a Synrad CO2 laser but I just bolt the laser (a 30 watt Firestar) onto the z-axis of my largish cnc mill. I don't do engraving so the 300IPM or so movements on my mill are plenty fast for vector cutting. I also have a q-switched yag fiber laser I have started playing with that puts out 10 watts average 5000 watt peak pulse power but it needs a more accurate mill as it focuses down to 10um (I am building one to hopefully hold 5um accuracy).

That's my concern, the slides would not be as smooth or as accurate. I have all sorts of stuff left over from my CNC routers, including some linear rod bearings that might just do the trick. I wonder if someone makes mounts that would bolt right to the 80/20 stuff.

I would rather just sell the Epilog EX32 and use those funds to pay for the new system, its older, but works great for it's intended use and I just put a new tube in it last year. I like the drive design, the Y axis is driven by belts, one on each side with a common drive shaft. Like you note, I don't need the high speed for just doing vector cutting.