586,108 active members*
3,218 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

First Time Laser Cutter

Hi there everybody

I wanna build a laser cutter for the first time , I searched the net and I didn't find much usefull infos , so I decided to ask you guys directly ...
    I designed cnc machines before so I don have any problem with moving parts and the whole design , but my knowledge about laser is limited , the machine will be 1200mm*900mm , here we go .
    A-I m gonna cut mdf (maximum 1 inch) and mostly thin aluminum sheets and maybe some thin steel sheet (around 0.030) and MAYBE some 1/2" aluminum if possible (last one is not necessary) so what and how much power do I need ? (with and without 1/2" aluminum)
    B-What kind (or maybe brand) of focus lens and mirrors should I use for cutting metal sheets ? (almost all of lenses I found on ebay didn't mention anything about cutting metal)
    C-What kinda laser controller would you recomend ?
    D-Any advice would be welcome

Regards

A-I m gonna cut mdf (maximum 1 inch)
    Not on anything under 600 watts your not.

and MAYBE some 1/2" aluminum if possible
    5Kw should be ok for that

B-What kind (or maybe brand) of focus lens and mirrors should I use for cutting metal sheets
    Water cooled Copper Lens with a gold PVD facia

Mitsubishi, Mazak, both very good control systems.

Being quite honest my friend, go spend a bit of time learning about lasers before building one, the power supplies on even lower powered machines give out potentially lethal voltages that require a bit of care to design around properly. Your questions would be tiered toward bigger industrial cutters to do what you are asking or at the very least high power midrange lasers (600 watts+). These kinds of machines come with their own series of dangers and problems that are well beyond the home builder in general.

best wishes

Dave

Simple question: What is your budget?

For laser machine ,it is difficult to cut aluminum sheet, and if for steel and mdf, http://www.wklaser.com/pro_238.aspx,our metal&nonmtal can make

Best Regards

Quote Originally Posted by boof View Post
    Hi there everybody

I wanna build a laser cutter for the first time , I searched the net and I didn't find much usefull infos , so I decided to ask you guys directly ...
    I designed cnc machines before so I don have any problem with moving parts and the whole design , but my knowledge about laser is limited , the machine will be 1200mm*900mm , here we go .
    A-I m gonna cut mdf (maximum 1 inch) and mostly thin aluminum sheets and maybe some thin steel sheet (around 0.030) and MAYBE some 1/2" aluminum if possible (last one is not necessary) so what and how much power do I need ? (with and without 1/2" aluminum)
    B-What kind (or maybe brand) of focus lens and mirrors should I use for cutting metal sheets ? (almost all of lenses I found on ebay didn't mention anything about cutting metal)

Regards
    Lucy Lee G.WEIKE LASER
    [email protected]

thank you very much , lemme assure you that I m not gonna touch the stuff without knowing exactly what I m doing , don worry there , i m starting a small business and with what I v heard it s wiser to stick to my cnc router ! but just outta curiosity what companies build such machines , I mean I found some on net but no price tag ! so how much a machine like this would cost me

thanks

Hiya Boof,

A hobby/small business laser can go from around $2,300 to around $25,000

Mid industrial / Heavy hobby from $25,000 to $100,000

Industrial from $75,000 to $4,000,000

cheers

Dave

The thin steel (0.030) you might be able to do somewhat cheap with a used fiber laser (not fiber coupled laser diodes) by IPG or similar. I can already cut through 0.015 without oxygen using a 10 watt IPG fiber laser (5000 watt peak power) and I think 0.030 would just be in range if I had pure oxygen assist gas. With 20 or 50 watts you would be set up.

0.5" aluminum? Forget about it.

1" MDF? A 6040 router on ebay for $1700.

mm yup doesn't worth the shot , gonna stick with cnc router , thanks for replies guys

hi all ,
    I m trying to collect some infos on metal sheet laser cutters ,and wanted to check some with you . (don worry , just collecting don wanna jump into anything)
    a)I saw some metal sheet cutting machine that uses 150w c02 tubes and they could cut through 2mm steel sheets , is that right or i m missing something here ?
    b)if the above question is right ,with a different gas (o2) I will be able to cut some aluminum sheets as well right ?
    c)is it a different type of head they use for metal sheet cutting or you can cut through sheets with any head ?(because of the reflections and everything)
    d) is something like this co2 Laser head any good for metal sheet cutting ?
    e)I understand the basic principals of co2 laser machines (controller > laser > mirrors > head > CUT !) but I didnt find anything on how YAG lasers work ,I mean does it use different type of head or mirrors or controller ? any reference or answer would be appreciated

Regards

Boof,
    a)yes,our LC1325M can make this LC1325M Metal & Nonmetal Laser Cutting Machine-Metal & non-metal laser cutter-Products-Laser engraving machine|Laser cutting machine|CNC router-G.Weike Laser
    b)cause aluminum is reflective, so laser can't cut
    c)it is Germany copy laser head
    d)our working video for your refrence operation video of 1325M-Video-Laser engraving machine|Laser cutting machine|CNC router-G.Weike Laser

Best Regards

Quote Originally Posted by boof View Post
    hi all ,
    I m trying to collect some infos on metal sheet laser cutters ,and wanted to check some with you . (don worry , just collecting don wanna jump into anything)
    a)I saw some metal sheet cutting machine that uses 150w c02 tubes and they could cut through 2mm steel sheets , is that right or i m missing something here ?
    b)if the above question is right ,with a different gas (o2) I will be able to cut some aluminum sheets as well right ?
    c)is it a different type of head they use for metal sheet cutting or you can cut through sheets with any head ?(because of the reflections and everything)
    e)I understand the basic principals of co2 laser machines (controller > laser > mirrors > head > CUT !) but I didnt find anything on how YAG lasers work ,I mean does it use different type of head or mirrors or controller ? any reference or answer would be appreciated

Regards
    Lucy Lee G.WEIKE LASER
    [email protected]

Hi Boof,

A: 150 watt CO2 laser will not cut metal, it uses the tube to heat the metal then introduces high pressure oxygen to cause an exothermic reaction that burns away the metal.

B: Aluminium is one of the hardest metal;s to cut, it's highly reflective and dissapates heat too quickly, even lasers in the multi kilowatt range struggle with thick aluminium.

C: Metal cutting laser heads are usually water cooled and have adjustable heights as the nozzle is often within 1 to 3mm of the job surface.The end cone is also replaceable as they get burned away when in use.

D: (See above)

E: Yag lasers are a different wavelength, they are at a wavelength that is absorbed by metal instead of being reflected.

Cutting metal requires one of two options, LOTS of power (600 watts+) OR lower power and lots of oxygen.

Oxygen assisted lasers are exceptionally dangerous if not maintained or treated badly, an oxygen explosion/fire will burn underwater as well as do a good job of relocating half the street if something goes wrong.

Take something simple like a tight thread? most people would just stick a drop of oil on it...oil + oxygen = boom.

cheers

Dave

thnx dave for ur reply , so if i understand correctly machines that uses yag lasers can cut through metal without using o2 or any other gas , right ? so how much yag laser power to cut through aluminum sheets ?

High power CO2 lasers can as well my friend, but entry level for aluminium CO2 is in the 2kW range, YAG machines tend to be either Galvanometer steered markers or Fiber cutters, a 600 watt Fibre will do ally sheet to about 2mm or so without gas.

best wishes

Dave

ok , thank you dave