586,391 active members*
3,040 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 5 1234
    Yeah that was what one of my main concerns until I got the mill head in my hands, then I figured it out with some online help from these guys. The pulley I bored out (actually over bored by a couple of hairs)to fit on the spindle which is about 1 1/8 " diam. On top of the spindle head originally there sat a sleeve with a slot (this for the spindle lock so when your changing collets it won't move) and a spanner nut which held it down, I removed these and just set the pulley on top, it has a set screw to hold it down, right behind the spindle on top is a smaller shaft that that use to hold a plastic gear(this is the original drive on the mini mill), anyway on this shaft is a small groove which is deep enough that a small rod can be pressed against it and it will be my spindle lock, also on the head there was a lever for changing the hi / lo gear (mini mill), this also is not needed and was removed. I probably spent 3 weeks trying to picture the mill head and how to do the pulley setup and loosen the drawbar(a threaded 7/16 20 which I don,t have yet) but once the mill was in my hands I was like oh, this part will be easy. Tomorrow I,ll take a couple of pics with the pulley off and how it goes on....

I was thinking on useing the Mini Mill R8 Spindle Conversion Kit and bearings from Little Machine shop and milling my own holder. Will have to wait for your Pics.
    It would br nice to have the Spindle Kit in hand, I could order it and send it back if I don't like it.

Yeah if ya have access to a milling machine that wouldn't be too hard to do, ya know if ya look at miljnor's mill he built, I think he built his head. I would have liked to have done that. My next one I will.....oh yeah I said I would never build another one.......uummm.

Do you have the post for miljnor's mill ?

fOUND IT http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...401#post161401
    CNCzone.com-The Ultimate Machinist Community - Cheap overpriced MILL build log

Thanks for the Pics. Where do you get the pulley?
    I think thats the way to go, (less work)!

From here http://www.mcmaster.com/
    McMaster-Carr

I also could of gotten a pulley with close to the correct bore from http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...c&item=11-2449
    Surplus Center Item Detail

but McMaster had the correct belt size and I figured I would just get the pulleys and the belt from one place and break my lathe in since I hadn,t used it since I bought it.

Your not using the spanner nut on top? Thats not a good idea, becides the press fit between the spindle and the bearings and the bearings and the housing, thats the only thng holding them all together.
    You might consider shaving a little off of the bottom of the pully and making room for the spanner nut. over time, or even suddenly, chatter and various other things can cause it to slip.

Jon

oops, I thought the flange around the spindle that has the 3 allen heads in it was holding the bearings and spindle down and that the spanner nut was just for the spindle stop sleeve?

The surpluscenter item comes up an 115 VAC TO 130 VDC MOTOR CONTROLLER BOARD.

Yeah I know thats the link I have saved in my favorites, just type pulley in thier search engine and it will pull up hundreds of pulleys.

you mean the little plastic thing

even if that held the bearings in the housing, its not holding the spindle on the bearings.

Jon

No this http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...id=18749&stc=1
    100_0970.jpg

Theres a metal flange, with three allen heads that is on the bottom and on the top of the head, I also checked the exploded view of the spindle assembly and as far as I can tell it looks as if these two flanges hold everything together, I,m pretty sure that the spanner nuts duty was to hold that spindle lockdown sleeve. Its a little hard to see in this pic because its painted over.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0970.jpg  

On my mill, they are plastic, I think they are there as more or less dust covers.

Jon

I started another post and hopefully we,ll get a few x2 owners to verify your claim, if you are right then I,ll definetly re-do the pulley set up! But my suspicion is that they are more than dust covers, if ya look at the exploded view of the spindle assembly http://images.grizzly.com/grizzlycom...s/g8689_pl.pdf
    g8689_pl.pdf (application/pdf Object)

You can see that the bearing are almost as big as these flanges and also why would there just be the one spanner nut holding the whole assembly? Besides the press fit.

Quote Originally Posted by ZipSnipe
    You can see that the bearing are almost as big as these flanges and also why would there just be the one spanner nut holding the whole assembly? Besides the press fit.
    because thats all thats really needed. I took my spindle out, I could have left the dust covers in place, execpt the bottom bearing would have broken it, I just removed the spanner and spacer and took a couple wacks at it and the spindle came right out of the bearings. bottom bearing came with it though.

Jon

Dammit your right after looking at just the spindle itself I can see what your talking about. THANX JFettig you have probably prevented a disaster. I,ll no doubt have to fab the pulley as the one I bought does,nt have enough wall left to cut down. Yeah I buy 2 pulleys supposely the same size 2 1/2 " diameter except one is really 2 3/8 and then to make it worst where the belt goes they made the groove deep so when I bored it out I could only go so far.Oh well I wanted to do more stuff on my lathe anyway.

it looks that if you cut off the extra thats on there, it can drop the pulley down 1/4" aproximately and might have enough room for the nut on it.
    I'm referencing this pic:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...chmentid=18735
    you should be able to chuck it up and part it off and move your motor down too to align with it too.

Jon

Nope won,t happen thats what I was saying earlier, I forgot the name of the pulley manufacturer but they made the groove on the belt too deep so when I bored it out I couldn,t keep the same diameter bore all the way thru I had to stop half way and bore a smaller diameter where the belt groove is. So when you put the pulley on thats about as far down as it goes. I already figured I,ll just make a pulley and make it so that it acts as a washer around the spindle allowing both the spanner nut and the locking sleeve to be put back on.

Page 2 of 5 1234