586,075 active members*
4,044 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 5 of 5 345
    Well heres another update. The mill has been disassembled and the new mill head mounting plates are complete and ready to go on the head. Heres what the old set up looked like http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...1&d=1162928875
    old millhead pieces.JPG
    And heres the new http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...1&d=1162928875
    new mill head pieces.JPG

As you can see I,ve reduced the number of pieces down to four. The reason I used so many pieces to begin with was becuz that was all I could find at the local salvage yard. But later I found a new and better metal source. And being that I work at a die and mold place I have access to a beautiful Bridgeport. Well as soon as it gets put back together I,ll post some more pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails old millhead pieces.JPG   new mill head pieces.JPG  

Well the new head assembly is complete except for paint

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...1&d=1163377864
    NewImpovedMillheadLeft.JPG
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...1&d=1163377864
    NewImpovedMillheadright.JPG

More to come...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NewImpovedMillheadLeft.JPG   NewImpovedMillheadright.JPG  

Looking very nice indeed - you must be thrilled

Is that R8 mini-mill head with your re-enforcements up to cutting much steel? I was considering one myself, but I couldn't tell whether the X2's weedy cutting power was down to lack of motor power and frame stiffness or actually down to the fragility of its head - what do you think?

Cheers.

X2 head works well and should definetly be an improvement over my earlier contraption. I think the x2 is rigid enough for its size. I think adding plates to the sides beefs it up and if ya can fill the column with cement, should see some improvement. I think people expect too much out of something so small. The machines I work with at work are way huge and take metal off in small amounts but repeticious times. Just got to add stops for the axis', fabricate a powerfeed and buy a dro setup and the manual mill will be complete.

Quote Originally Posted by ZipSnipe View Post
    X2 head works well and should definetly be an improvement over my earlier contraption. I think the x2 is rigid enough for its size. I think adding plates to the sides beefs it up and if ya can fill the column with cement, should see some improvement. I think people expect too much out of something so small. The machines I work with at work are way huge and take metal off in small amounts but repeticious times. Just got to add stops for the axis', fabricate a powerfeed and buy a dro setup and the manual mill will be complete.
    Thanks - sounds like you are very happy with the X2 head - I was just trying to work out whether the reason the X3 is speced at being able to use 1" mills vs 1/2" for the X2 was a motor power or spindle strength issue...

Could you please tell me roughly what the physical dimensions of the X2 spindle box are?

Cheers.

Roughly the head is about 3 5/8'wide by 4 1/8 tall by about 6' long. When the paint dries I,ll get ya the exact specs.

Quote Originally Posted by ZipSnipe View Post
    Roughly the head is about 3 5/8'wide by 4 1/8 tall by about 6' long. When the paint dries I,ll get ya the exact specs.
    Thanks - assuming you mean inches, not feet, that's more than accurate enough for my needs

:cheers:

Oops

This thread deserves another look!!

ZipSnipe,

Just discovered this "old" thread and think it deserves
    another look!!

The evolution of your Mill was very interesting,
    particularly like your tenacity in incorporating
    improvements until the design & execution seem
    right to you.

What else are you working on??

W Smith, Mission Viejo,CA.

Thanx for asking, I just used it to help with some mods for my lathe(just added a bigger motor). I am currently just getting all my gear in tip top shape, just added and still working on a bigger motor for my bandsaw. The mill works fine but I plan on eventually adding some filler to the column and I want to replace the two bottom square tubing for some solid which I plan to weld to the column supports.

Right after I rebuilt the mill I started working at a Tool and Die shop so it and the lathe sat dormant for two and half years as I had access to a Bridgeport and a nice Sharpe lathe. Now I'm laid off from there and running my glass business full time. So the mill and lathe are starting to get used again. Really just getting into some woodworking projects, I also have a cnc sherline mill that I just used to pump out some window parts that aren't made anymore.

I need to check out your thread on the mill with castings and see how ya coming along, the last I read you had started a cnc router, but I really liked your mill made from castings that was very interesting.

Sherline CNC

ZipSnipe,

Haven't posted on my threads lately!
    Have restarted the patternmaking routine, 3 completed & 3 in work.
    Have been busy adapting my bridgemill to a configuration to
    machine the patterns.
    It's too time consuming making them manually, particularly since
    the design is done in Solidworks & can be converted to Mastercam to
    generate the G code.

Did you buy the Sherline w/ CNC included or did you upgrade it?

What Drivers, Motors, Pwr supply are used on your system? EMC ?

How about a picture......

W. Smith, Mission Viejo

EXCELLENT read. Hoss pointed me to this thread.

I am looking to get that same table, and install my X2 column on something similar to what you did. It will all depend on what metal I can find, and what design pops into my head at the time of construction. The X2 Y-axis is just completely inadequate for me.

I like that you mounted the table to the square channel and plan to do the same. I then plan to put those square channels on a slightly oversized steel plate for a base - or weld the square tube stock to the plate, and beg one of the machinists at work to face both surfaces level. That would make life SO much easier. Then will come some sort of loose fitting mount where I can install the Z column into, then once It has been trammed up nice and true-tighten & then bolt on lots of bracing. I am tempted to weld, but thats very permanent.

I am thinking you can pour sand into the column. It is just as dense as anything, and not even remotely permanent. I guess concrete powder will do fine also, provided u don't get it wet I am building an enclosure that I can house the entire mill in and go crazy with the cooling system with built in reclamation, so I don't plan to use concrete.

Late reply. But just wanna say I haven't needed to fill the column, the sideplates added the ridgidness I needed. The table is sloppy and needs anti backlash nuts badly!!!

Wow, took you almost 3 years to reply
    better late then never right? Talk about neco-posting

Hey check out my new thread, I put the new acetal nuts on the table. I made a tap using the end of the y axis, zero back lash now !!!

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...l_project.html

Page 5 of 5 345