586,075 active members*
4,033 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

3D horse files

I'm using BobCam V3 for SolidWorks but am hoping to get more response on this forum. I would like to make a sign for my wife's horse farm that includes a 3D image of a horse. I'm not apposed to paying for something generic but thought someone here may have one or know where to get the best ones. Maybe someone can even suggest how to make a 2D in a 3D if that's even practical.

I have the routing capabilities for very large objects so this may end up being a full size specimen.

Many thanks, Forrest

BoBART will do a nice Horse from 2D to 3D.

You can get nice bas reliefs of various horses for fairly cheap. There are several sites for them. One I've used before is Vector Art 3D,
    http://http://www.vectorart3d.com/

Most of the ones there seem to run around $25. As jrmach said, you can build up a full relief from a flat photo, in BobCAD. It's a slow go to learn the tricks of doing that, though. If you're primarily interested in making the sign, then I'd go with a store-bought relief. If you're looking for a challenge, then a few embossments and a lot of Sculpting tool work can get you there, in time.

Luke
    "All I'm trying to find out is the fellow's name on first base" -- Lou Costello

3D Model Club has some good ones.
    http://www.3dmodelclub.com/cmsj15/mo...0#.UgfIFqw4Tjg
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

This site has some really nice free models, including a great horse one:

Ingyenes Reliefek, Free relief <!--if()-->- <!--endif--> - Fájlkatalógus - Hobby , 3D, Relief, CNC, fafaragás

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest C View Post
    I would like to make a sign for my wife's horse farm that includes a 3D image of a horse. Maybe someone can even suggest how to make a 2D in a 3D if that's even practical.

I have the routing capabilities for very large objects so this may end up being a full size specimen.
    Hey Forrest,
    Well, "Horse" is rather generic. It doesnt really talk about "running" or "Sturdy and steadfast" or head only???

Here's a quick emboss of a horse outline in BobCad. We could show you how to do this:

Attachment 195862

Kindof a "prancing, smiling, hokey" horse.

Note that above, you, and I emphasized "Your wifes farm"..... Maybe we want to do a good job here. So, while getting free models of horses, or looking at Burr's little outline emboss is cool, and may work great, this is what I would suggest. Let's get your wifes input on it. Maybe she has a picture of a "favorite horse" even with her on it... Then you do 2 fold. Outline the horse (and other objects for the emboss from the picture, as you see in this file I have attached, then on top of that, you add another "emboss from image" of the original image. This will give a good relief model, and actually look just like the horse you want....

Then, other input like the sign type and shape can be added for different results. Like maybe you want the top of the sign to be domed, instead of flat, etc.

If you want to go that route, post back.

There are a few very nice ones on those sites. I was hoping maybe to find a full 3D image. I know I didn't specify what position and all but am mostly just looking for ideas. A moving or animated horse is preferred. One of my ideas is to do a roadway entry arch with running horses across the top. Another idea is a 2D sign with a full 3D horse front jumping out. The 3rd idea is a full size 3D horse with a banner sign hanging over like a blanket.

This is an anniversary gift for my wife and she will be ecstatic with anything I do.

Thanks for the interest, Forrest

Sounds like you are looking for a full 3d model of a horse, not so much a relief?

Horse - Other, STEP / IGES - 3D CAD model - GrabCAD

Yep, GrabCAD is the first place I thought of, once the topic turned to full 3D. Several interesting things there. Just search for Horse from the home page. It's free membership, and I think all the models are there for the taking. Cool little community.

Luke
    "All I'm trying to find out is the fellow's name on first base" -- Lou Costello

I like the idea of GrabCAD, but I haven't had much luck with uploading work to their site when I've got something I'm willing to share. It just sits there forever in the upload mode, so I just give up. Otherwise, I think it's a cool concept and nice that people are sharing their work.

Edit: Just figured it out. There seems to be an issue with Firefox for me, but using Internet Explorer seems to allow uploads just fine. Just put my first model up there, a model of a Saab classic 900 pinion depth gauge (used for setting pinion in transmission). I think it would be very rewarding to hear that someone has made one and put it to use, which is what I think GrabCAD is all about.

forrest

you have more option..
    simplest is, go to google sketchup there are many horse model..
    they are looking ok... however by triangulation they need to remesh or finding other way to animate them...

your next option looking for free sites, something like architects using models for their scenes..

the 3rd is asking a modelingcompany or simply go to zbrush site or cg website and send message to artists..
    they make you a horse.. in any pose..

the 4th option personally I prefer make yourself one..

not so difficult as it looking ofr first.. you start with the body and simply """pulling out""" prats... till you get the shape..
    trust me, its a real fun..

the picture is a try.. someday I might finish it..

I would like to call your attention, you might find a ready model... however to brealk down to machineable parts that's might takes more time than making a model..
    a horse that works for a sign... I think no more than 3-4 hour to make..

but again, to breaking down to parts, and creating files for machining.. that will takes time a lot..
    so first get some useful program for something like hexagon, or silo3d.. or try blender.. and make some experiment how you can create your file for maching.. from a ready horse model..
    when it works.. you might buy one model from a site liketurbosquid, or order one some site like for3d ru

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest C View Post
    I was hoping maybe to find a full 3D image. I know I didn't specify what position and all but am mostly just looking for ideas. A moving or animated horse is preferred. One of my ideas is to do a roadway entry arch with running horses across the top. Another idea is a 2D sign with a full 3D horse front jumping out. The 3rd idea is a full size 3D horse with a banner sign hanging over like a blanket.
    So, an "animation" I will assume you mean something like this:

Attachment 196024

The arch you see with the blue horses, except with differing poses as it "runs" along the sign. This would be easy enough to make a few poses.

The only other part in question is the "full 3d" part. So cutting an entire horse in 3d is not going to be a straight forward cut. With an "index cut" there could be some result, but some of the features would be limited.

Maybe we could do some discussion about the actual size of the cut, and tooling and steps, then we can do some simulation to look at what the results would be like.

Can you make a basic pencil sketch of what you are thinking the sign would look like? Also, do you like this horse?

A full 3D horse,,,360 degrees around.You got the Pro 5 axis tool paths?Do you have machining experience/work holding and such?Thinking a lot hand tooling well be necessary too.You know files,knives,sanders.If you do,keep us posted,I would like to follow the progression.

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    A full 3D horse,,,360 degrees around.You got the Pro 5 axis tool paths?Do you have machining experience/work holding and such?Thinking a lot hand tooling well be necessary too.You know files,knives,sanders.If you do,keep us posted,I would like to follow the progression.
    I dont think it's that type of project. I think it will be a 180 split and see how we can get ears and some minor details to conform in a direct Z cut.....

Well,then it becomes a heck of a lot more doable.1/2 Horse in full 3D.

Couldn't this be cut in stackable pieces once the model is selected using top of cut and bottom of part parameters.
    That would make the holding it simple I would think. Like the video that Al just made on parts that are to big for long tool deflection.
    The larger center section could be cut out and be used for the smaller outer stock.

Video Link http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bobcad...-_stack_-.html

I am looking for a full 3D model but will take a relief if that's all that is available. I make molds and plugs for a fiberglass company. We often have very large patterns that have to be broken into multiple sections (in some cases 20 to 30 parts). This requires flipping with a fixture sometimes and my main task is to figure all that out as well as the cam to cut it. About 50% of what we do has curves. About 10% of those are heavily contoured sections.

That's on the first shift. Second shift we produce components for the cabinet and millwork industry. I do lots of curve casing and crown.

Animated meaning in a moving position or appearance of movement (running). I'll look for some more ideas and post them.

Thanks, Forrest

Then you would be able to add to it after it is molded.And use hand tools to sculpture the fine details?

Here's 4 horses running:

Attachment 196660

3 running which should allow you to create any length of sequence you want, and I included a "reigning stop", just because I like reigning horses..

I didnt spend much time yet as I'm not sure if you want/need them. There are a couple joint areas that arent perfect. I also meshed them at a high resolution for smoothness. Each stl is roughly 250 mb. We could adjust this down for lighter files, it would just start to "facet" and you would need more work on the final product. It will just depend on if your computer can deal with the higher res stl's....

Anyway, let me know if you want to look at these more. I dont want to start uploading gigs of stuff for an unwanted purpose.

I think the way is dismantling the limbs, and head , neck n body can be made from 2 side..

limbs also can be made from two side

where limbs attached to body, they are mot comint out from the bottom.. indeed theyre on the side of the body..

also I think it worth to make larger size over 5 feet... because the preparation can be a lot..

regardless of size of the project it could takes hours to preparing parts..

Page 1 of 2 12