586,094 active members*
4,110 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

tool change position

Hi,

We have a Chevalier 2040MV with a 16 tool changer and Fanuc O-MD. Can't get the tool changer to change tools. I have gone through the Z axis tool change point adjustment ( bought the machine used and it was shipped with the Z axis motor off so had to redo the Z setting) and here's what happens. In MDI first command- M19 (orientation) does this fine, second command G91 G30 Z0.000 (Z axis moves down out of Z home position -0.162), third command M50 (tool magazine moves into tool change position) if a tool were in the pot it would crash into the pull stud- fourth command M51 (spindle unclamping) activates the air solenoid- fifth command (G91 G28 Z0.000) cycle start button stays lit and nothing happens. I'm thinking the Z axis should stay at home position and if so how do I get rid of the Z axis movement in the G91 G30 Z0.000 line. Tried putting a number in Z axis grid but didn't help.

Can someone please help!!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jschmid View Post
    Hi,

We have a Chevalier 2040MV with a 16 tool changer and Fanuc O-MD. Can't get the tool changer to change tools. I have gone through the Z axis tool change point adjustment ( bought the machine used and it was shipped with the Z axis motor off so had to redo the Z setting) and here's what happens. In MDI first command- M19 (orientation) does this fine, second command G91 G30 Z0.000 (Z axis moves down out of Z home position -0.162), third command M50 (tool magazine moves into tool change position) if a tool were in the pot it would crash into the pull stud- fourth command M51 (spindle unclamping) activates the air solenoid- fifth command (G91 G28 Z0.000) cycle start button stays lit and nothing happens. I'm thinking the Z axis should stay at home position and if so how do I get rid of the Z axis movement in the G91 G30 Z0.000 line. Tried putting a number in Z axis grid but didn't help.

Can someone please help!!

Jim
    To determine the correct mechanical position of the Z axis proceed as follows:

1. Place an empty tool holder in the Tool Change Pot that is in the Tool Change Ready position, one having an end face that will allow easy measurement of the distance from table to end face, or table to the underside of the Tool Change Ring.

2. Measure the distance from the machine table to the selected Tool Holder surface with a height gauge, or whatever suitable measuring equipment that's available. Note this measurement.

3. Place the same Tool Holder as used in point 2 in the spindle of the machine.

4. Perform the G91 G30 Z0.000 command and then repeat the measuring exercise used in step 2 above on the Tool Holder currently held in the spindle. Note this measurement.

5. Compare the measurements gained in steps 2 and 4 above. The difference between the two is the amount the G30 position will have to be moved.

6. The G30 position is set via parameter as an Incremental Distance from the Reference Return Position of the respective axis.

If the machine is set as an Imperial machine, the value set in the G30 parameter will be in the number of 0.0001" units. The parameter for Z is 0737. Note the current value and modify it by the position error you find after comparing the two measurements made as described in 2 and 4 above. Lets say that you found that the spindle is too low by 0.050". This means that you will have to move the G30 Z position by 500 units in a positive direction.

Regards,

Bill