586,110 active members*
3,354 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > mastercamx newbie
Page 1 of 3 123

mastercamx newbie

I set my contour up. I set the stock up. but when I run it the chain is followed but the Z never moves to the wright coor. Please help
    Thanks

did you set you work coordance G54 and your tool offset?

MastercamX

How do you do that. In mastercamx what I did is set the material size. Then contour select path for tool and tool.

the tool offset height is set at the machine in your code do you have this T1 M6 H1 the T1 stands for tool # M-6 tool changes and H-1 is height offset for tool 1
    if your having this much trouble you should forget about learning mastercam and start reading the machine manual instead learn how to hand code and set the machine up you do not have the skill level yet to know what you are doing this will come in time learn to crawl before you learn to run

MastercamX

I think I'm just missing a step in setting the contour up. The tool follows the xy positions it just doesn't do anything at that point. I figure if I learn the program I will then be able to look at the code and understand more. I'm not stupid I just don't how to work the program yet. Ha!
    Thanks

You’re not stupid and I never said that you were. But you need to understand basic programming if you did the you would see why I'm saying this to you mastercam is a very complex software any program that comes from a cam software will need to be edited at the machine this is why I say to learn hand coding first you can still learn mastercam but if you do not know G and M codes than you'll nerve ever be a programmer I do give you credit for trying to learn but you're going to fast in time and a short time you will be far more a head if you learn to hand code first

MastercamX

I got it. Idiot on to the next step.

that why we call you a puppy they run around having fun and leave little mess to clean up have a good one Ed

MastercamX

Ok I will not state I'm a newbie again. Puppy at it again.
    Thanks

MastercamX

On second thought I'll call my self little **** at it again.

well if thats the case you may not be a little one, but a big pain in the .........

MastercamX

I'm sorry I'm not trying to be. I have just been wanting to do this for a long time. I have been excited working with this. I will try an not to ask too many guestions along the way.
    Thanks

I was just kidding question are ok even a stupid one we all ask them but your trying to move to fast. In the machine manual it will not only cover the machine set-up but also programming have you read it or just flipped threw it. in order to run mastercam you need to know what your machine can do you will also learn hand coding and programming I've seen a lot of people who say they can run mastercam or other software but when they are running a job and the tool is screaming they do even know why mastercam is only part of what you need to learn and in time you can become a very good machinist and programmer just slow down

Hi Ed,

What is your Depth - Retract Height - Feed Ht set to in Mastercam?

Is there any Z depth in your NC progrem?

I guess I should clairify....
    When you say the Z wont move are you talking about the machine or in the Mastercam screen display?

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing

Talking

I'm new to this forum. This was my first post here. I noticed I'm a "Chip Sweeper".

That's pretty funny. Been a long time since I was a chip sweeper.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing

welcome to the club be careful here or you will wish you were a chip sweeper Ed is one of our puppies and we need to keep on eye on him so were your new you can have Ed

MastercamX

I’m scared to ask but here I go. What I’m having a problem with is that in a contour I set the chain. But how do you add additional paths to the chain for the tool to make its cuts.

Don’t be scared my friend this is a show that never ends

MastercamX

Most of my problem is that I don't have the program here to work with. My wife probably thinks I’m having an affair. I have to go to the shop at nights to work with the program. So I try and gather all the info I can before I go.

Hi Ed,

You need to try an be a little more specific. To add an additional toolpath just pick Toolpath - Contour.

If you mean "Change" a toolpath that you just created, go to the Operations Manager (or hit Alt O (the letter)) click on the when you see the Toolpath you want to change, click on "Parameters" and your back in. Change what ever you like.

Hope That Helps,

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing
    Mastercam Multimedia Training CD's

Page 1 of 3 123