586,094 active members*
3,946 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

E-stop on power up

Hey guys,
    We've been having an issue with our Mazak VQC 15/40 with an M32 control for a number of years now. On power up, the machine will go into a 45 E-stop. Now usually we can cycle NC power (not the main power) a few times and it will boot up and run great. Sometimes when she's being stubborn some of the operators will thump the cabinet with a dead blow and she'll boot up. We normally leave it powered up so this isn't necessary. Well over the weekend we had a power outage and now here I am. This time the machine will not boot without the 45 Estop alarm. Under this alarm I cannot do anything on the control. No buttons work whatsoever. XYZ drives show E7 alarms.

We've had numerous techs, including Mazak, come in and try to fix it. First thing they do is go through the e-stop circuit. Nothing wrong there. Then they trace it up to the card rack and thats where it ends. The interesting part about that is the LED lights on the card rack are the same whether it is in e-stop or running perfect. The only thing they can tell me is to start replacing cards until the problem goes away.

I'm out of ideas. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I attached (if I did it correctly) a pic of the card rack under E-stop.

wrong forum

Maybe the battery on the motherboard is done
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

may or may not help but we have a citizen lathe that goes into e stop alarm when air pressure drops below a certain point when the other lathes give an air pressure alarm

I talked to Mitsubishi and they seem to think it has to do with one of the I/O cards or the power supply. Luckily one of our other mazak mills has the same power supply so I was able to swap them and check. No luck. I had to order the MC303 card ($1600). No luck. Now mitsubishi thinks its a connection issue. I re-seated the MC cards one at a time and tried powering it up. I went through all the full size cards and had no luck booting. Then I popped out both half size memory cards (MC411 and 415) and re-seated them and BAM it fired up! I'm not 100% sure if there is a connection problem with those cards or it was just a coincidence that it fired up but I've cycled power a few times and it boots up just fine.

Thanks for your input guys......both of you.

So you've taken out memory cards and the machine boots up, but does it work without the memory cards?

I was told to never try to boot a machine up without the cards installed. All I did was pop them out and re-seat them before powering up.

Dear Sir ,
    Check the Control 24 V Circuit for your MOP(Machine Operator panel ), Next as you told that operators will thump the cabinet with a dead blow after that machine power up , Seems there is a loose connection /Fitting Issue. Open the cabinet , Clean the Card Slots See is there any Loose Connections are there or not ? see any rusty pins .
    Regards

Quote Originally Posted by nautomation View Post
    Dear Sir ,
    Check the Control 24 V Circuit for your MOP(Machine Operator panel ), Next as you told that operators will thump the cabinet with a dead blow after that machine power up , Seems there is a loose connection /Fitting Issue. Open the cabinet , Clean the Card Slots See is there any Loose Connections are there or not ? see any rusty pins .
    Regards
    Read the thread, he did reseat everything and found the memory cards to be the culprit.